Dash Pad Cover Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I've got a few ideas for the dash while I'm in limbo with the 5.3 install (need money lol). Anyway, whats the safest way to remove the cover to see what's underneath? I've got a bad feeling it's gonna be a 'take your time and you'll see what you see' type of job.

I've never put one one so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks Guys

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The pad is fairly easy to remove, but sometimes the material is dried out and brittle, so it may crack even more when you stress it.

- Pull off the radio knobs, remove the screws that hold the black gauge panel cover on , and then gently remove the panel. These are all phillips screws.
- Underneath gauge panel you will see screws holding the gauge cluster in, and also some screws that only hold the lower edge of the dash pad. Just remove the screws that hold the dash pad (3 or 4?). I believe these are all 1/4" hex head screws.
- Then on the passenger side, look up under the edge of the dash pad above the top edge of the glove box and you will see another 3-4 screws that hold the lower edge of the pad.
- Once you get all the screws out you will be able to pull the lower edge of the dash pad out about a 1/2" to check that it is no longer screwed on.
- Then work the left and right side of the pad out from the dash until you can get hold of them, and pull the pad straight back toward you to disengage the metal clips that hold it to the upper part of the dash. It is usually a tight fit, and the metal clips may have also rusted to the dash.
- Once it slides clear of the metal clips you can just work it up over the steering wheel.

Try to avoid flexing the dash pad too much. There is metal reinforcing under the pad, but any flexing will stress the vinyl cover and may cause it to crack.

Bruce

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the dashpad caps/covers are glued to the existing dash? I'm assuming the original pad underneath is cracked. I'd like to pull the cover and find out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never ever seen a dash cover that was installed on a pad that was not cracked up. You never know for sure though.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Don't really make sense to glue a cover down on a pad that wasn't all cracked up, lol.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Don't really make sense to glue a cover down on a pad that wasn't all cracked up, lol.

perfect, sounds like too much work to see whats underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkreetKilla