Dash mounted console build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
So do you just fiberglass over the cardboard or how does this all work?? :think:
On this particular one, Yea i will just be fiberglassing overtop of the card board. But there are other techniques that I could use to build them. But right now I am looking for the easiest and least amount of time.

I saw a writeup for jeep snorkel where the guy used that steel mesh, like you use under stucco. He formed it how he wanted it and then did the fiberglass mat, fiberglass then bondo, and paint. It looked like something you'd buy from ARB, looked GREAT. Reason I bring it up, you may want more rounded edges and corners so it might look more factory. I know, squarebody style but even our trucks have a little roundness on the corners and a little angle to them.
C4 My original Idea was infact to have rounded edges and corners, But honestly IMO it did not look near as good, considering the fact that it is a square body truck.
Dude, that came out terrific!!! I hope it goes well. I do agree with C4 however, and never thought about it, but you could make that out of window screen, and just blend the fiberglass onto it, might make it stronger too, but man, you did a real good job on that cardboard template. Dam, I got the perfect **** to use here too, it is a stainless steel window mesh. I don;t know how much is in the roll though, I will have to look when I get home.

What is your plan for the bowtie vents? Are you just going to leave the inside hollow and let the air blow through those holes? I was thinking you were going create a tunnel that matched the vent opening, and take the lover control out and make it mount into the face of the cup holder, and maybe even use some of that cheap sponge tape weatherstripping to seal the cup holder vent to the dash vent.

Anyway, if the finished item comes out anywhere near as good as that template, you will have one hell of a special SB mod. I am really excited to follow this project. :High 5:

Can you take that and get a mock up pic of it on the dash? :popcorn:

As for the Dash vents, I had thought about just using the OEM ones and putting them in there, But I figured hell with it, the Bowtie vents will look even better, When it is all fiberglassed they will be cut out in a loovered fashion as to get the best cooling efficency, just having a big hole will not cool as well as having the restrictions of the loovers.

The next 1 I build will NOT be made from cardboard, I will make it COMPLETELY out of Fiberglass. You can make a fiberglass sheet that will bend and contour edges that would help with the "boxyness" look. When I do that 1 I will show you all with pictures how to do it.

Oh yea and the Vents will simply feed into the console, then exit the bowtie's There is no need for any tunnel work, as the cup holders will be made out of fiberglass also which will be sealed from the rest of it. When it ataches to the dash It will also be sealed to the duct work.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hey how about a vent control that can direct the air to the cupholders, so if you want to keep your coffee hot, the heater can do that, or if you have a/c it can keep your drinks chilled in the summer.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Hey how about a vent control that can direct the air to the cupholders, so if you want to keep your coffee hot, the heater can do that, or if you have a/c it can keep your drinks chilled in the summer.

its already gonna be doing that

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
and a few more

attachment.php

:popcorn:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nice project, I lik ehow you added bowties. I do that to almost every custom project I come up with.

Illuminati

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/Silverado
Engine Size
350 4bbl
:popcorn:

Watchin' this one.....

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
where is everything at on this one, OLP? :popcorn:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
its been on hold, hoping to get to work on it somemore after this week.
Sorry all i have been busy with alot of different things

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Where we at on this Pops?? :)

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
sorry guy work and now TURKEY season is really gotten me behind. i will catch up one of these days.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
As the supervisor of this project (i.e. the guy who has done nothing on the project, seen the project or know jack crap about what goes into it) I am very disappointed :(

:lol:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I can vouch for Luke's position, Turkey Season trumps any and all projects! :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia