dash gauges not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thejudges69

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
3rd post hear, first is in the introduction thread.

So I recently bought an 82 K15, the guy I got it from put the whole body on an 82 k25 chassis, he did a clean install and I don't think that what he did was or is the problem. What I'm wanting to do it get the dash gauges working right, as much as I like the shiny gauge clusters you buy from summit, I like the factory gauges more. The temp gauge is inop, the oil pressure is pegged past 60 and the fuel gauge is pegged past full all the time, any idea where I should start with this? He has a 2 gauge setup mounted under the dash the oil pressure is plumbed in somwhere behind the dizzy, the water temp gauge is plumbed into the left head, is it as simple as putting in the proper sending units and hooking the wiring up? or is there more involved. thanks in advance.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds to me like he unhooked the factory oil pressure and water temp gauges to hook up his aftermarket set. Should just be able to get the factory sending units and hook them back up. Assuming he didn't butcher any wiring.

And your fuel gauge issue sounds like a bad ground on the sending unit.

thejudges69

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I can't see both wires on the sending unit, one I can see is a knife connector and it would be towards the outside of the truck. I'm going to look more into the wiring, it don't look like the wiring has been hacked, I saw 1 wire with some tapr around it, I'm going to investigate and put some heat shrink on it, I can't really drive it much without the gas gauge since I have no clue how much is in it.

are the OEM sending units all the same for them years? I know my cab is an 82 so probably just focus on that for the water and oil pressure.

no slack

Reaction score
First Name
Antonio
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350 TBI
left head

Im working the same problem the most i can advise is that the factor water sensor is pluged into the same place as the aftermarket left head good luck i will pust more as i learn

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I kind of rushed these but you should be able to identify and reconnect the senders to the correct leads. Then - if the senders are good - when you plug the harness behind the dash into the instrument PC board, the gauges should be functional.

You must be registered for see images attach

I hope these are not too confusing. Also included a page from the standard wiring circuit color code chart that covers most of what you'll be dealing with (applies to all 81-87).

This is what the Christmas tree for the oil pressure switch & sender needs to look like if you want to use an electric choke heater. The bell shaped sender is for gauge indication and the 2 prong switch is for a low pressure warning light and electric choke pull.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507