Dash Differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
I recently purchased an 85 GMC. I'm coming over from the 76-72 trucks, but grew up in Squares. The dash of this truck has the check engine light in the center between the mph/fuel gauges. I thought this was only an option for diesel trucks, but I guess not. I don't see this dash replacement option on LMC. Was this just a one year thing? Truck has a 350 in it and documentation matches. Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
You must be registered for see images attach
Here is a pic.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I've only seen that top center warning light on diesels, any chance yours was originally a diesel?

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
No, it wasn't. As stated above it came with a 350 gas motor...but, like you I have only seen that in diesel trucks. Fairly certain she is an unmolested truck as I have all the paperwork from new with it.
You must be registered for see images attach

TonyMann

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado S B
Engine Size
350CI
I have a 1980 Silverado, and it came from the factory with a diesel, it also had a glow plug indicator light where your check engine light is. If you have a ECM you will need to keep your check engine warning light, or you can do as i did when I switched to a gas 350, I changed the gauges bezel,and put one in from a 1981 non computer, non diesel Truck.

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
This truck did not come from the factory with a diesel. It came with a 350 gas motor that is still in it. This is why I'm confused about the gauge cluster having this. There is no "glow-plug" light in the display. Check Engine and Battery Indicator are the only two lights.

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
I guess it is possible. I'm surprised the lights work in it if that is the case but I sure don't see other trucks with that "option" unless they were diesels.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Maybe an "update" someone thought was cool. It certainly is a conversation piece due to its rarity.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Cool. None of my '85s have that. I wonder what it is hooked up to, that makes it turn on. Maybe you will find out some day.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Show us some pictures of the truck, please. What is the "Gold medal special" option?

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
My '84 factory 305 gas california smogger has the light in question. Truck is bone stock. The '85 plow rig I picked up does not have the light. It was a 305 from birth, but has been swapped with a '73-'80 400 small block.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Diesels had a two-light insert between the speedo and the fuel gauge. AFAIK they all had an amber "Wait" or "Glow Plugs" light on one side (depending on vintage) and a red "Water In Fuel" light on the other, which in trucks up to about 1986 would also be illuminated by excessive vacuum on the fuel filter.

Apparently the gas engine trucks had a "Check Engine" light on one side and some other light. If they don't say "Wait" or "Glow Plugs" / "Water In Fuel" it was not from a diesel. "Check Engine" would probably indicate a 305 ESC or a later TBI engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly