Daphne: the 16 Bolt - shallow pan blonde

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGDamato

Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Well - I think Daphne done did go and get her tranny all burnt up!

I parked her on the street, in front of my yard and crawled under her with plans on replacing the filter, fluid and gasket just to be sure.

Took some pics and saw a bit of a leak.

From what I could see online was 12lbs of torque for the bolts and DO NOT shear them off.

I just got the socket on the first one when it fell to the ground...like it had been sheared off and just hand tightened the 2-3 remaining threads.

I was like F------AAAA! ok, well, that's only one.

Well, the next bolt felt like it was welded on and obviously, I shredded the hell outta that one - that one is on me.

I was like - well, this pan needs to come off so let's go I mean, I am already inve$sted now $o what'$ the difference?

THE NEXT THREE JUST FALL OFF! Seriously, like they belonged in a Ford or something, they just friggin fell off!

So now I am FIVE bolts in with ZERO removed - thankfully, the next eleven came out with no problem.

Now, Daphne is in the street, her guts hanging out and I have no idea.

I googled the hell out of how to and talked with two old timers who swore they've tapped them, broke a few drill bit as they walk and Heli-coiled their casing in the snow back in the early 80's but no way were they doing that again, even though it's like 70 degrees.

I knew I had to put a Band-Aid on her some how but I didn't have a clue - figured I have to have her towed bleeding allover the place.

Although blood makes the green grass grow, I thought my neighbors would appreciate her out of their way so low I Harbor Freighted her shut...literally!

I bought five 1" C-clamps and smooshed her seem together, replaced gasket, the other bolts and gave her some new fluid - and yeeeup...she's bunt up for sure.

Just thought I'd share how she died with photos before and after.

Now she's on the transplant list to get a rebuild - the local "doctor" is scheduled three weeks out. YEE-YEE!

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ingenious solution!
Although I believe the next time I crawled under it there would be a new Turbo 350 sitting next to it
PS crack the bell housing bolts and start soaking the trans mount and Driveshaft bolts now!
Hell, I’d get a new mount. 90% chance something snaps off or it’s shot anyway.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah that's a great idea and I can add..

Those exact same C clamps are - just as good - maybe better at - sealing GM windows after the plastic regulator tape strips...you know what I'm talking about.

Clamp one of them babies INSIDE the window track to hold the glass up.
Works like magic.
Free to you here.
A couple of bucks at Harbor Freight.
:D :33:

I never thought about C clamps to hold a transmission pan together but I HAVE run a ratchet strap.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Bolts are over rated. From here forward it's baby C clamps for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne