Dana 44 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Ok guys found what appears to be a really good deal. Guy is selling a set of 3/4 ton axles for 500 bucks. Says they are rare factory axles because of the 4.56 gearing in them. Now I know the 14 Bff is the best and that's what the rear is. My question is the "Big Hub flat top knuckle Dana 44" any good? From my knowledge the dana 44 and the 10 bolts were almost identical.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have had a lot of 44's with big rubber and they have served me well. I would not want one for rock crawling or hauling ass over the whopp's out in the dessert though.

All of my square's have 35's or bigger tire's and the only things that I have had happen is breaking axle joints , but not that often , and now days they have bad ass joints for them anyway. The other thing is ball joints with big rubber , they wear out fairly fast , small tire's not so much.

I have broken one housing , but that was when I was young and going for big air , (not so smart)

If you are not bashing your **** hard the 44's are fine , and I like the fact that they are lighter than a 60 which helps keep the nose weight down for mud running.

I have had 0 problems with them for everyday fourwheeling , just with big rubber you have to replace the ball joints often , (no big deal imo.)

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
I have had a lot of 44's with big rubber and they have served me well. I would not want one for rock crawling or hauling ass over the whopp's out in the dessert though.

All of my square's have 35's or bigger tire's and the only things that I have had happen is breaking axle joints , but not that often , and now days they have bad ass joints for them anyway. The other thing is ball joints with big rubber , they wear out fairly fast , small tire's not so much.

I have broken one housing , but that was when I was young and going for big air , (not so smart)

If you are not bashing your **** hard the 44's are fine , and I like the fact that they are lighter than a 60 which helps keep the nose weight down for mud running.

I have had 0 problems with them for everyday fourwheeling , just with big rubber you have to replace the ball joints often , (no big deal imo.)

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Thanks man, good to know it will do what I need it to do. What's special about the big hub and flat top spindle?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Flat top spindle is needed for cross over steering (if you want to ever go that route).

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Perfect then been throwing around the idea of a big lift big rubber combo