Dana 44 front on a 1981?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Again, if there's a factory mid 80's K20 with a full floater, I'd like to see it because I've yet to see one.
bucket, do you want me to take picture of my 81 GMC with the 10.5? It’s sitting at the storage locker because the previous owner can’t find the title. I now have to force title because he doesn’t know how to get one even though we told him how. He’s a meth head I think. The truck was his brothers but his brother committed suicide about 5 years ago. Thankfully not in the truck. He tried working on the engine but didn’t get far before taking his own life. Sad story but at least now I can save the truck. I did find a nice 350 small lock for it. Low mileage GM crate engine. My brother found it for only 300 dollars. About 30,000 miles. It was his company’s work truck that never was licensed for the road, just used on the lot to haul sawdust. It was owned by Menards lumber company. He got the Turbo 400 and I got the engine. Win for both of us. After I get the 77 Step side running ( pain my butt ) I will bring the 81 back home to install the engine. Let me know if you want pictures of the GMC. It’s a little beat up but worth saving.
@bucket

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
bucket, do you want me to take picture of my 81 GMC with the 10.5? It’s sitting at the storage locker because the previous owner can’t find the title. I now have to force title because he doesn’t know how to get one even though we told him how. He’s a meth head I think. The truck was his brothers but his brother committed suicide about 5 years ago. Thankfully not in the truck. He tried working on the engine but didn’t get far before taking his own life. Sad story but at least now I can save the truck. I did find a nice 350 small lock for it. Low mileage GM crate engine. My brother found it for only 300 dollars. About 30,000 miles. It was his company’s work truck that never was licensed for the road, just used on the lot to haul sawdust. It was owned by Menards lumber company. He got the Turbo 400 and I got the engine. Win for both of us. After I get the 77 Step side running ( pain my butt ) I will bring the 81 back home to install the engine. Let me know if you want pictures of the GMC. It’s a little beat up but worth saving.
@bucket

No, I believe that you have what you say you have, especially after seeing the '81 specs that AuroraGirl posted. I just firmly believe that it is not common at all in '81, and was possibly not available in years after that. It seems to be common belief that a whole bunch of 80's K20 rigs came with the 10.5", but that simply can't be true.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 86 K20 C6P has a full floater. It was originally bought by a Church, and was unmolested when I bought it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My 86 K20 C6P has a full floater. It was originally bought by a Church, and was unmolested when I bought it.

Out of curiosity, what is the ratio?

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, I believe that you have what you say you have, especially after seeing the '81 specs that AuroraGirl posted. I just firmly believe that it is not common at all in '81, and was possibly not available in years after that. It seems to be common belief that a whole bunch of 80's K20 rigs came with the 10.5", but that simply can't be true.
I think you are right. I will be getting pictures of the truck so everyone can see what we are talking about.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, thought of another question, lol. Does it also have the heavier tie rod (long/short style)?
I'm not real sure of what you're asking.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm not real sure of what you're asking.

There are two different designs of tie rods. Many 80's K20s had the 3/4" tie rod. It's the one with the short ends and a very long adjustment sleeve. Then there was the 1" tie rod, which has a short and and a long end, with a short adjustment sleeve.

Supposedly, the larger rod was used with 4:10 gears and 3.73 got the smaller tie rod. I'm wondering if it actually has more to do with GVW. I guess it really doesn't make a difference though. I've seen 3:73 geared trucks with the 9.5" rear and the large tie rod.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There are two different designs of tie rods. Many 80's K20s had the 3/4" tie rod. It's the one with the short ends and a very long adjustment sleeve. Then there was the 1" tie rod, which has a short and and a long end, with a short adjustment sleeve.

Supposedly, the larger rod was used with 4:10 gears and 3.73 got the smaller tie rod. I'm wondering if it actually has more to do with GVW. I guess it really doesn't make a difference though. I've seen 3:73 geared trucks with the 9.5" rear and the large tie rod.
Mine is a 1" without an adjusting sleeve. It adjusts at each end. It's like #9 on this LMC page.

That page says it's for 1/2 ton though, but mine only has a corporate 10 bolt up front.

Until I looked it up, I would've called that part a draglink.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine is a 1" without an adjusting sleeve. It adjusts at each end. It's like #9 on this LMC page.

That page says it's for 1/2 ton though, but mine only has a corporate 10 bolt up front.

Until I looked it up, I would've called that part a draglink.

Maybe it wasn't 3/4", maybe 7/8". But anyhow, the one you describe is the smaller tie rod. Don't worry about the descriptions in the LMC listing, the year ranges are incorrect.

*edit*
Yeah, the smaller one is 7/8".

I don't know how to easily link stuff from RockAuto, but their listing for '86 K20 shows the both styles available. If what they are currently stocking is any indicator, Moog is no longer producing the smaller left tie rod and center adjustment tube.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

not the best example of both but the heavy one is on top the light one is on bottom(crusty)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

here is all ac delco has

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

not the best example of both but the heavy one is on top the light one is on bottom(crusty)

That bottom one is a heavy one too :)

here is all ac delco has

Notice that the left and right 7/8" tie rods have a note saying to replace with the 1" tie rod assembly if the center tube needs replacement. It must be discontinued.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That bottom one is a heavy one too :)

Notice that the left and right 7/8" tie rods have a note saying to replace with the 1" tie rod assembly if the center tube needs replacement. It must be discontinued.
yes
a long while back I think on jays threads we had gone over this for a 87 k10 because someone tried to jack up on the tube and its hollow i think. Then he got the heavy ones whcih he didnt mind anyway

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike