Dana 44 Late model axle upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K10blueChevy

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First let me say if this is covered else where point me to it.
I'm new to the inner workings of these front axles on these square bodies.

I have an 83 K10 that has bad ball joints. I assumed swapping in a good working axle would be the easier job. Purchased said working axle only to find out I purchased a turd. The purchased axle is a Dana 44 out of a 72 K5 Blazer. After replacing the spider gears and all the seals in the hubs/spindles I realized the drivers side wasn't matching up.

The Dana has a late model axle and stub shaft on the drivers side. I noticed the late model axle has a larger ujoint and the stub shaft is machined differently. Which was causing the fitment issues with the spindle.

My question is should I finish what was started and upgrade the 44 to late model axles? If I go this route what all do I need to find? Is a set of late model spindles all I will need to swap or were the size of the wheel bearings changed and I will need to get the wheel hubs also?

Thanks for any help provided.

RThiel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
The difference is that your 1983 axle is a GM corporate 10 bolt, and your early axle is a Dana 44. Most parts won't interchange. Both are comparable in strength, the 10 bolt being a little stronger, but negligible. There were also two different models of dana 44 hubs. One was called the "big hub" and I understand that it is the weaker of the two. The Dana 44 isn't a turd by any means. It's well supported by the aftermarket, and should be easy to upgrade to stronger parts, but you probably won't find them in the junkyard. Another attribute to the one that you have is the flat top knuckles, which are highly sought after in the offroad 4X4 crowd, as they make the conversion to crossover steering possible.

K10blueChevy

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know the Dana isn't a turd, but it was in rough shape, every bearing and seal were toast.
I also realize the internals will not interchange what I was wondering about were the externals from the steering knuckle out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Everything from the knuckles out will swap over from you're '83. If you update the d44 or run your stock 10 bolt, you are doing ball joints no matter what. Strength is very comparable between the two.

K10blueChevy

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome, So if I didn't want to rob parts off of my 10 bolt my junkyard list is:

Late Model Short axle, and stub axle
Late Model Spindles

Reuse wheel hubs from Dana44

Pick up a set of wheel bearings and spindle seals from the parts store.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When you are mixing and matching axle shafts, the inner still needs to be for a D44. So if your early shafts take a smaller u-joint and you need to use the later stubs, you will need a later year D44 inner shaft.

K10blueChevy

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, after searching what I felt was the whole internet I called Ventures Truck Parts (1-800-464-1713) and they were able to provide me with all the information I needed.

Here is the breakdown. The Dana 44 was used until 1980 in these Chevy trucks. In 1973 they changed the axles and stub shafts to the larger ujoint style that Chevy continued to use in the 10 bolt axles. Along with upgrading to the Large Bearing spindles.

For the pre 1973 Dana 44 this is a common upgrade.

Parts List:
Inner axles from a D44 from 73-80 30 spline (Even though the later model 10 bolts had a 30 spline axle the inner axle is longer and it will not fit)
Stub Shaft from 73-88 Dana or 10 bolt
Large Bearing Spindle 73-88
Large Bearing Wheel Hub 73-88
You can reuse the brake rotor.

Ventures recommended doing this upgrade to the larger ujoint axles if you are running a 33" or larger tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84