Damaged wires on firewall about 2 inches from fuse box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shoote

Reaction score
First Name
tim
Truck Year
1987 1985
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 502
I have about 6 wires with the coating damaged due to a small fire. 5 of the wires are for the wipers/wiper motor. 2 of the wires are for the the a/c. Is there anyway to replace the wires from the fuse box or do I have to use wire connectors with heat shrink. I am hesitant to use the wire connectors because the wires are damaged about 2 inches from the fuse box where it comes through the firewall. Anyone have any ideas?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I do not specifically remember on the squares, but a lot of old cars the wires were just connected to the fuse box on the backside with spade terminals, certainly it would be worth pulling them it off to check. Otherwise I would repair the wires by soldering if possible and not with butt connectors as those sometimes aren't the best in the long run, but whatever you do I'd definitely use shrink wrap over any repaired areas.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Most fuse panels are servicable. Considering that squares run blade fuses I would imagine a small pick tool can undo the little clip that keeps the female spades in the fuse box and receive the fuse. Once the spade is out you can order new connectors, some wire, and get to repairing the panel.

Another option is grabbing a fuse panel from the scrap yard with a feet of wire on the end. There will be splicing and heatshrink involved unless you do a whole harness swap.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have read that the fuse box is made in two pieces that bolt together, and you can separate the inside half from the engine side half. Then you have an easier time working with the engine side and reaching the wires. However, I once experimented in the junkyard and tried to take one apart and it didn’t seem to easily come apart. YMMV

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You can remove the inside part of the fuse box without disconnecting the underhood part.

The 2screws that hold the fuse box in place can be removed, then unhook the little clips the hold the dash harness to the fuse box. The bulkhead fitting will stay connected to the underhood harness.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's better to unplug the under hood wiring harnesses from the engine compartment side. I mean that's where the damaged wires are.

Loosen the center bolt and pull. EZ-peezy!

You must be registered for see images attach

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Once that block is unbolted and cleaned up, it pretty easy to de pin and replace the spades and wiring. The spades are “special”.

I believe this is them

25 Packard 56 Series Male 16-14 Gauge Terminals GM 2971962 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8X363M/

stever001

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
g10
Engine Size
i beleive these are the 1/4 in wide ones . some you may need are series 59 which are 5/16 in. wide, the series 59 are for 10 gauge wire

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

These are the main bulkhead connectors. SMP (Standard Motor Products) makes them. Get them on Rock Auto for cheap. IIRC, boxes of 10. NAPA has them for about what a mortgage goes for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind