Dakota Digital switch/button placement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys, well I'm about halfway through my install of the VHX gauges and I see that they come with two momentary switches to control the different little displays and I wondered where people had decided to put them? I don't want to really drill holes in the bezel, but don't really know of a handy place for them that is close to reach. Any pics or ideas would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hey guys, well I'm about halfway through my install of the VHX gauges and I see that they come with two momentary switches to control the different little displays and I wondered where people had decided to put them? I don't want to really drill holes in the bezel, but don't really know of a handy place for them that is close to reach. Any pics or ideas would be great.

Just put the switches under the gauge bezel on the drivers side. Drill a hole or whatever closer to the steering column, on the metal part of the dash. You wont notice it much there and it wont get accidentally bumped, yet it is easy to reach there but you will have to intentionally do it rather then just bump it by accident.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You are the first one I know of to install the VHX gauges. Can't wait to see it done! With that said, could you do some holes in the lower cover underneath the steering wheel?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You are the first one I know of to install the VHX gauges. Can't wait to see it done! With that said, could you do some holes in the lower cover underneath the steering wheel?

I know a guy who put them in his 54 Chevy. They are sweet!!! Thinking about saving up my pennies and putting them in my 87. I like them better than the Dakota digital gauges in my 77

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know a guy who put them in his 54 Chevy. They are sweet!!! Thinking about saving up my pennies and putting them in my 87. I like them better than the Dakota digital gauges in my 77

I have already started saving! Hoping by summer next year I will have these in the 79. When they brought out the white lighting for them it sealed it for me.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well let me tell you, it's a pain for someone not very good with electronics to put these in. Running the new sensors and such was cake but I've had more trouble identifying the correct wires to tap into than anything else. I've got the module wired now for the most part and fired them up and gone through some of the initial setup. Still have to work some kinks out like the cruise indicator and honestly I'm not sure the cruise will even work now but I think it will as its all still connected to the stock wiring through the column. Just can't figure out the ground to give me the dummy light on the gauges. Anyway, they look awesome. I got the blue on black setup. Hopefully another weekend and it'll all be buttoned up. I'll be sure and update with pics.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I got the VHX in my 74. Mounted the switches in the removable metal panel under the steering column. No pictures on this phone so when I get to my computer I'll post them

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well finally got them in and buttoned up for the most part. Anyone that's done them, I can't get my cruise to work? How do you hook up the indicator and then the cruise itself? Other than that my dash has never looked better. Love finally having a tach.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Those gauges look fantastic!! I'm thinking I'm going to pic a set up to either update my '77 from the older style of Dakota Digitals or to run in my '87. Looks great!

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So the dakota digital guy is saying it sounds like my DRAC has been eliminated? WTH is a DRAC module? From what Ive searched I cant figure out if a nonfuel injected truck would even have one. I know i have the VSS but never heard of DRAC before. Any help or ideas?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Looks great where did you get the steering wheel po put an 88 wheel in my 87 lol i like yours tho

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got the steering wheel from classic industries. I wanted it for a while but they were always out of stock. They are pricey though. Or I thought they were but of course I still bought it. :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Well finally got them in and buttoned up for the most part. Anyone that's done them, I can't get my cruise to work? How do you hook up the indicator and then the cruise itself? Other than that my dash has never looked better. Love finally having a tach.

That steering wheel is great! What is the part number? I hate the huge OEM wheel that is way too thin to hold onto comfortably. That one looks so comfortable.
You have a tilt column in that- right? Mine doesn't tilt... trying to figure out if it will be blocking my gauges or not...
Those gauges look awesome also. Nice work!

Last edited:

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks, it is a tilt column. Part number R30531A. If you buy it and figure the horn out let me know. I can't figure out how to make the horn button functional.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Well, I just bought it. So guess I'll see how the install goes when it gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe