Factory Cruise Control and Dakota Digital with GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BQuillen

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can give me a hand with finishing up my Dakota Digital RTX gauge install. Everything works perfectly except for the cruise control. I've tried wiring it up a few different ways (some quite obviously wrong) and I'm still not sure what's going on.

It's a factory cruise control truck...1986 C30 crew cab with 454 and th400 trans. I'm using the Dakota Digital GPS module for speed signal instead of the VSS that comes with the kit and replaces the factory cable. Under the dash, it had the little green VSS cruise control buffer box with the wiring harness and the optical fitting that plugged into the factory gauge cluster. Another wiring harness with a pink/black, black, and yellow wire plugged into the green box.

It is my understanding that they yellow wire that plugged into the VSS cruise control buffer box is the one that sends the signal for the cruise...I'm hoping someone can confirm that's correct. I believe the pink/black goes to power and the black is ground. I initially tried wiring the yellow wire to the main Dakota box at the "Speed Out" terminal, but no luck. I thought maybe that since I was using the GPS module for speed signal, I needed to run the wire there, so I tried the "Cruise" terminal on the GPS box (which is supposed to be the same as Speed 1 and Speed 2). Still no luck.

Has anyone had success wiring up the Dakota Digital gauges with factory cruise control? Any advice? The only other thing I have checked but not tried is the speed signal setting on the GPS box...it was set to 8000ppm...does it need to be set to 4000? I'm not sure what the factory cruise setup calls for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BQ

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can give me a hand with finishing up my Dakota Digital RTX gauge install. Everything works perfectly except for the cruise control. I've tried wiring it up a few different ways (some quite obviously wrong) and I'm still not sure what's going on.

It's a factory cruise control truck...1986 C30 crew cab with 454 and th400 trans. I'm using the Dakota Digital GPS module for speed signal instead of the VSS that comes with the kit and replaces the factory cable. Under the dash, it had the little green VSS cruise control buffer box with the wiring harness and the optical fitting that plugged into the factory gauge cluster. Another wiring harness with a pink/black, black, and yellow wire plugged into the green box.

It is my understanding that they yellow wire that plugged into the VSS cruise control buffer box is the one that sends the signal for the cruise...I'm hoping someone can confirm that's correct. I believe the pink/black goes to power and the black is ground. I initially tried wiring the yellow wire to the main Dakota box at the "Speed Out" terminal, but no luck. I thought maybe that since I was using the GPS module for speed signal, I needed to run the wire there, so I tried the "Cruise" terminal on the GPS box (which is supposed to be the same as Speed 1 and Speed 2). Still no luck.

Has anyone had success wiring up the Dakota Digital gauges with factory cruise control? Any advice? The only other thing I have checked but not tried is the speed signal setting on the GPS box...it was set to 8000ppm...does it need to be set to 4000? I'm not sure what the factory cruise setup calls for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BQ

To the best of my knowledge for an 86. the speedo cable turns at a rate of 1000 RPM (revolutions Per Mile) and there are 2 tabs that the sensor sees meaning 2000 PPM signal.. The other problem you might have is analog vs digital. There is a good chance you will have to run the VSS to get your cruise to work. If it were me I would call Dakota Digital they should have the correct answer.

BQuillen

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
To the best of my knowledge for an 86. the speedo cable turns at a rate of 1000 RPM (revolutions Per Mile) and there are 2 tabs that the sensor sees meaning 2000 PPM signal.. The other problem you might have is analog vs digital. There is a good chance you will have to run the VSS to get your cruise to work. If it were me I would call Dakota Digital they should have the correct answer.
Much obliged. I’ll give them a call today.

If I run the VSS, could I use it strict for the cruise control? Meaning, just run the signal wire from the VSS to the yellow wire from the factory cruise harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Much obliged. I’ll give them a call today.

If I run the VSS, could I use it strict for the cruise control? Meaning, just run the signal wire from the VSS to the yellow wire from the factory cruise harness?

I would think that's a possibility.

BQuillen

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Well I finally got it to work. But I had to sacrifice using the GPS module for the speedo.

Apparently the stock cruise control speed signal is 2000ppm. You can configure the GPS module to multiple ppm settings, but no lower than 4000ppm. I was hoping that I could use the GPS for the speedo only via the BIM as I had it hooked up, and then could also run the VSS to the DD box to use for speed output only, but the instructions specifically say you can’t do that. So I hooked the supplied VSS from Dakota Digital up to my GearVendors transducer and then ran the wires to the speed input on the DD box. I was able to select 2000ppm on the Speed Out terminal in the setup menu when using VSS for signal, so I ran the yellow wire from the factory cruise harness there. Took it for a test drive and it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Guess I’ll save the GPS module for another car.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Well I finally got it to work. But I had to sacrifice using the GPS module for the speedo.

Apparently the stock cruise control speed signal is 2000ppm. You can configure the GPS module to multiple ppm settings, but no lower than 4000ppm. I was hoping that I could use the GPS for the speedo only via the BIM as I had it hooked up, and then could also run the VSS to the DD box to use for speed output only, but the instructions specifically say you can’t do that. So I hooked the supplied VSS from Dakota Digital up to my GearVendors transducer and then ran the wires to the speed input on the DD box. I was able to select 2000ppm on the Speed Out terminal in the setup menu when using VSS for signal, so I ran the yellow wire from the factory cruise harness there. Took it for a test drive and it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Guess I’ll save the GPS module for another car.

I converted my truck to use the factory 1991 electronic speedo, when I set up the cruise control I initially hooked it up to the the 4000ppm output instead of the 2000ppm out put and it wouldn't engage below 50 mph.

BQuillen

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I converted my truck to use the factory 1991 electronic speedo, when I set up the cruise control I initially hooked it up to the the 4000ppm output instead of the 2000ppm out put and it wouldn't engage below 50 mph.
Interesting. I wondered if the cruise might work with the 4000ppm output from the GPS module, but didn’t try it due to time constraints. I don’t have the heart to tear my dash apart again to give it a shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito