Speed Hut Speedometer Install....no signal error!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
Hey Folks,

I just installed a set of Speed Hut gauges in my 1991 V1500 Suburban, 5.7 TBI, electrical speedo, 700R4, 241.

I have two (2) problems.

Problem #1:

I connected the input into the new speedo to the old pin 18 from the dash cluster plug....light blue/black stripe. I have tried both with chassis ground and without. When trying to program the speedometer I get a "No Signal" error on the speedo.

Anyone done this before? I think I need to keep the DRAC in the system for the ECM so I assumed that using the output of the DRAC like the factory speedo used was correct. I have a message to Speed Hut but have not heard back from them.

Any ideas?

Problem #2:

Are there any other places to connect the oil pressure gauge to? I know about the rear of the distributor but can't get my eyes or hands in there to add a "T" so I can use the old switched signal for the fuel pump operation. I figured I would leave it alone for fuel and go with another spot.

I hear there is a spot near the oil filter but I don't see it either. Anyone have a picture of that location? Somewhere I read that the port near the filter was not a really good place to use since something could happen in the engine and still have good pressure at that port. My old 1986 M1009 (surplus blazer) had a oil line to the radiator that could be tapped at the radiator but that was the 6.2 diesel and I am sure they are a good bit different?

Can I add a adapter at the oil filter and get a port there? Any other holes in the engine that would give me a good reading?

For those that like a picture:

You must be registered for see images attach

Any ideas on this one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have no clue about the speedo signal.

But the oil pressure port will be directly above the filter, facing the side of the truck. If there is not a sender or switch there now, there will be a pipe plug.

You can get at the oil sender arrangement up by the distributor, but it's certainly a little uncomfortable to do it.

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
Thanks for the input on the Oil Pressure. I found it and installed it and it looks like it works fine. Yea!

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
I also figured out the speedo connection. I had to install a resistor between 12vdc and the speedo signal form the DRAC. Apparently it is called a "pull up" resistor and is needed but lost when I pulled the old cluster. I put in a 4.7K ohm resistor vs the 10K in this picture and it let me set it up and seems to be working pretty well.

Here is where I put the resistor on the DRAC instead of in the cluster....

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
I also figured out the speedo connection. I had to install a resistor between 12vdc and the speedo signal form the DRAC. Apparently it is called a "pull up" resistor and is needed but lost when I pulled the old cluster. I put in a 4.7K ohm resistor vs the 10K in this picture and it let me set it up and seems to be working pretty well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Good info!

So this little gem of info is probably needed when installing any aftermarket speedo with a factory DRAC and VSS?

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
Probably so. The schematic showed my VSS output on C15 but in reality it was on C14. I suspect the difference in My 91 Suburban V1500 vs a 1985 pickup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406