Dads 92 astro wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
We conveniently get 10% HEET added to all of our fuel...for 'free' ;) I let my old 96 Burb sit with a half tank for 6mos, and the 10% ethanol absorbed/turned completely to water. I added two 1/5ths of everclear, and 5 gals of fresh gas, and it was able to run just barely enough to burn the tank through. Have never left a tank with E10 in it sit without being full since.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
No engine light or codes?

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
The only code we got was a lean 02 code all the other codes was from us unplugging stuff.
swapped in the injectors from the 5.7 tb I have and we couldnt see a spray from them but it ran off what was leaking around the o-rings.

roadtriper

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
We used a chunk of hose on the end of the feed line at the tb and got 18-19 psi.

Is there any sensors that could affect this or possibly a bad signal from the ecu?

18-19 dead head pressure is good . do you have a Noid light? if not you can use a test light the injectors should have key on bat voltage on one pin and the ECM controls the ground side on the oposite pin. if you have Keyed Bat Voltage on one side take your test light between the other side of the connector and bat+ crank the engine and see if the test light blinks. if the light blinks it means the ecm is triggering the injector.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Red and white injector plug wires are the positives, and the blue and green wires are the negative triggers. should be able to feel them click when it cranked over too. I am thinking there may be a blockage in thebthrottle body.
If the injectors are dripping, and they are not firing, you need to rebuild the throttl body and replace the O rings.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I once had a customer with an Astro that towed the van in because it would no longer start after running very poorly for a while. Both injectors were bad. Apparently they were driving around with a bad injector and then finally the second injector finally quit. Maybe a similar issue here?

As for your fuel leakage past the o-rings, I've seen those rebuild kits come with instructions that include an incorrect parts diagram. If you followed the instructions, that might be your problem. Or you just pinched one.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Ill give the test light a try tomorrow.
as for the re-build there was no leak until we swapped the injectors with the ones from the 5.7 tb that I have my guess is the upper o-ring got pinched when we did the swap cuz we just removed the top piece and were between the seats doing the swap.

so now we are leaning towards bad injectors possibly as bucket said, one was bad then the second went, but it was running smoothly for the most part just had the hard starts that was "fixed" by new cap rotor and plug wires. But idk for sure cuz its not my van so idk how it was running for sure just by what my dad says.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But idk for sure cuz its not my van so idk how it was running for sure just by what my dad says.

That always makes it difficult too. People don't always have an accurate description of what actually happened, or sometimes they are just unobservant of what was happening before the crap hit the fan.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Ya isnt that the truth lol, I trust what he says though, he is usually pretty observant, and the couple times I rode in it from what little attention I was paying it ran pretty smooth.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
we have a 97 sebring my wife drove it home ran fine next day wouldn't start i thought fuel pump . ended up being a sensor. i think mechanic said it was the camshaft sensor

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
we have a 97 sebring my wife drove it home ran fine next day wouldn't start i thought fuel pump . ended up being a sensor. i think mechanic said it was the camshaft sensor

Should have thrown a code saying it was the sensor. Most cars cant self diagnose a fuel system issue, unless it is electrical.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Very common. Did you get a new sensor from the dealer I hope? The aftermarket sensors often fail early in life and can also cause driveability issues.

Should have thrown a code saying it was the sensor. Most cars cant self diagnose a fuel system issue, unless it is electrical.

Usually not on those. You have to put the scanner on it and check for cam and crank signal and also make sure they are in sync. Often there is cooked/oil soaked wiring and shorted wires too.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The only non OEM sensors I ever use is Airtex/wells....The best stuff in a pinch.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
it was just an idea, i'm no mechanic, lol as everyone can tell . i think the sensor was a autoz*ne lifetime my mechanic didn't charge much to put it one . i told him what i checked. he guessed that's what it was, runs great. the main reason i bought a older sb no sensor's my f150 had sensors always going out .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP