Cylinder head search?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84Rumpty

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6cyl
Okay I'm building my 350, its a 4 bolt main 010 block that has been bored to 4.030. It has an Eagle rotating assembly with a cast crank and flat tops. The CR should be 10 to 1 with 64cc combustion chambers. The cam is a Comp Cams XE268h.
Now for the question?- When I started this build I was planning on using new vortec heads but I have some extra funds to further the build to a higher standard. I have been trying to find a better cylinder head With no such luck. I'm having a hard time making up my mind on a certain one and when I do I find a flaw in that head.

I first wanted a 23degree trick flow head but they are all angle plug heads and then found out that they had been bought up by summit racing equipment and I don't know if they are up to the same standards as they used to be.

Then I say a set of Dart SHP aluminum heads but then heard they had casting flaws when it comes to valve train geometry and so many 2nd's heads out there.

My latest one I liked is an AFR 195 eliminator but my friend said it will out flow my 355 because its a 2500rpm to 6500 rpm range.

I will post some pics of the shortblock tomorrow.

Please help me select a Cylinder head or at least your experience with yours.....

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 141

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
No experience with either, but I've read more about the vortec heads than I have the Trick Flow. Of course that's mainly been reading here mostly, and other places about the LS swaps n such.

Back in the 90's when I was rebuilding my 350, I couldn't afford the twisted wedge heads, but drooled and begged for a lottery win. I've also later read that there are better heads out there for the same price.

Others will chime in, but from what I've read, I think the vortecs will make the best bang for buck. If you go that route, now you'll have to choose the right model vortec.

Again it's what I've read, what everyone else posts will be more knowledge for me as well. Thanks for posting it. LOL I've wanted a set of twisted wedge heads for so long, I'd take a cracked set and make damn coffee table out of it and still get a hard on every time I saw it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I second the Vortec heads. I know that aluminum heads are not new technology, and there are a lot of pros, but it's one of those unexplainable things that doesn't sit right with me. I think that Vortecs would be a good use of your money, just make sure they're not cracked. That extra would need to go into an intake, valve covers, and some Comp beehive springs as an upgrade from the cylindrical springs so the heads can handle your cam effectively. I don't think you'd need any work done on them besides the springs, and you can do that yourself.

Last edited:

84Rumpty

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6cyl
I was thinking about the Votec's but had in my mind set that I needed full roller rockers and a Aluminum head which meant a trip to the machine shop for screw in studs(for the Vortec)..... But I could go with roller tip rockers that are self aligning and save money on those too along with not having to spend $1500 on a set of heads(AFR). If I go with the GM Vortech's I will be getting them from the dealer as my shop gets them for wholesale.
Although Hot Rod mag just had a iron Vortec VS Blueprint aluminum head shootout and the blue print heads won and their only $200 more for the pair.

84Rumpty

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6cyl
Okay Just had the new GM Vortec heads delivered today all wrapped in plastic and covered in cosmoline.... I will start a build thread cause I just chunked down for complete stainless exhaust system and header along with the FiTech 600hp power adder system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota