Custom Exhaust Routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
buy the mandrel bent stuff its way easier than trying to make some kit fit. If you have good welding skills a but joint will be fine, if not you risk burning a hole in the pipe that you will have to fix, and should clean any weld that runs inside the pipe from the blow through. Slip joints are nice if you can plan your exhaust to the 1/8 of every measurement or have a way to expand the pipe yourself.

oh and

This happens alot on forums and builds camaraderie among members, other forums may move it to a different thread when its enough to warrant a separate thread but it still happens.
(I realize that a little bit of banter is normal but online can spiral fast to "chest poking". I guess I am looking for some really good technical advice which requires other people to take time to write longer messages. Many people are too busy for that. Not here to make problems, just ask questions.

I have a decent welding machine that is stick/MIG/TIG. I bought the welder on a special deal so I took the TIG option although I need another gas and other consumables which I have not spent money on. I have not used the TIG portion but I understand it can make really nice welds with no welding splatter. I plan to use the MIG welder to build my exhaust. I have decent enough experience with MIG welding but of course I do have some questions though.

Can you MIG weld Aluminized mild steel without removing the coating of Aluminum which I do not know if that is even possible? Then can I MIG weld Stainless steel tips to Aluminized mild steel? All of my experience is with welding uncoated mild steel.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
(I realize that a little bit of banter is normal but online can spiral fast to "chest poking". I guess I am looking for some really good technical advice which requires other people to take time to write longer messages. Many people are too busy for that. Not here to make problems, just ask questions.

I have a decent welding machine that is stick/MIG/TIG. I bought the welder on a special deal so I took the TIG option although I need another gas and other consumables which I have not spent money on. I have not used the TIG portion but I understand it can make really nice welds with no welding splatter. I plan to use the MIG welder to build my exhaust. I have decent enough experience with MIG welding but of course I do have some questions though.

Can you MIG weld Aluminized mild steel without removing the coating of Aluminum which I do not know if that is even possible? Then can I MIG weld Stainless steel tips to Aluminized mild steel? All of my experience is with welding uncoated mild steel.

I have read that if you weld Aluminized it burns off the coating so it will rust, if you want to do it and not worry about it again buy the equipment to TIG and get stainless pipe to make your system. I put polished on my vette and had it tig welded so i wont have to mess with it again.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have read that if you weld Aluminized it burns off the coating so it will rust, if you want to do it and not worry about it again buy the equipment to TIG and get stainless pipe to make your system. I put polished on my vette and had it tig welded so i wont have to mess with it again.

As my truck is a work in progress, I planned on building this first exhaust with lower cost components because later I will install a four link and air ride so depending on what I chose for suspension will cause the exhaust to be modified. If I was independently wealthy, with no need of work, I would do a complete frame off restoration but I have decided to complete the truck in steps so I can drive it in-between tear downs. Too many projects get totally stripped and then it takes so long that people lose interest or money runs out and it never gets picked up again. I have a 1966 GMC that I started a long time ago and it sits right now. Not to mention a few other trucks stuffed in corners that are begging to be restored.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
As my truck is a work in progress, I planned on building this first exhaust with lower cost components because later I will install a four link and air ride so depending on what I chose for suspension will cause the exhaust to be modified. If I was independently wealthy, with no need of work, I would do a complete frame off restoration but I have decided to complete the truck in steps so I can drive it in-between tear downs. Too many projects get totally stripped and then it takes so long that people lose interest or money runs out and it never gets picked up again. I have a 1966 GMC that I started a long time ago and it sits right now. Not to mention a few other trucks stuffed in corners that are begging to be restored.

I get it and understand, if thats the case why not just do the cheapest you can find and let it ride? NASCAR style true duals would be cheap and Id much rather drag the exhaust as a warning instead of the oil pan or frame.

deviant

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Bonanza
Engine Size
I get it and understand, if thats the case why not just do the cheapest you can find and let it ride? NASCAR style true duals would be cheap and Id much rather drag the exhaust as a warning instead of the oil pan or frame.
This is basically how I'm set up. I'm coming out of the headers at basically the stock route then run the side and out in front of the rear wheel. I may ultimately notch the bed and bring the side pipes up, but for now I'm okay with it. Originally, I ran them to each side behind the wheels, but I wasn't too keen on having the pipe basically against the bed to clear the axle at full compression.

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35