CUCV vs civilian model differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The M1008 was the base vehicle of the CUCV series. It was essentially a diesel-powered version of the Chevrolet K2500, but used the front axle usually reserved for the K3500 in the civilian line. At the rear of the truck was a standard step bumper with a pintle hook mounted in the center.

The cargo bed itself differed little from the civilian model, but did have a lightweight folding cargo cover and removable troop seats added.

Modifications included the addition of a brushguard and towing shackles on the front bumper and a dual 12- and 28-volt 100-amp charging system.

The powerplant was GM’s 6.2-liter diesel coupled to a TurboHydramatic transmission. Most models used the New Process NP208 two-speed, chain-driven transfer case. All models have non-slip rear differentials. The front axle had lockout hubs.

i guess i would have thought that they would use the np205 most of hte time too, but i guess not lol?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
The M1008 was the base vehicle of the CUCV series. It was essentially a diesel-powered version of the Chevrolet K2500, but used the front axle usually reserved for the K3500 in the civilian line. At the rear of the truck was a standard step bumper with a pintle hook mounted in the center.

The cargo bed itself differed little from the civilian model, but did have a lightweight folding cargo cover and removable troop seats added.

Modifications included the addition of a brushguard and towing shackles on the front bumper and a dual 12- and 28-volt 100-amp charging system.

The powerplant was GM’s 6.2-liter diesel coupled to a TurboHydramatic transmission. Most models used the New Process NP208 two-speed, chain-driven transfer case. All models have non-slip rear differentials. The front axle had lockout hubs.

i guess i would have thought that they would use the np205 most of hte time too, but i guess not lol?
All CUCV models except the M1028A1 and M1031 used the NP-208. M1028A1 was the shelter carrier version of the M1008. M1031 was the Chassis-Cab model

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle#CUCV

Good stuff to know, thanks guys.

I've never owned one, just read things about them.
I figured being "military tough" (no jokes), it would be 6.2 diesel, th400, np205, 14 bolt rear end, 60 front.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good stuff to know, thanks guys.

I've never owned one, just read things about them.
I figured being "military tough" (no jokes), it would be 6.2 diesel, th400, np205, 14 bolt rear end, 60 front.
we are talking about a large corporation and a government hatching a deal on the ideal pickup setup for military use, what did you expect other than random shortcomings with random overbuilt aspects?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The M1008 was the base vehicle of the CUCV series. It was essentially a diesel-powered version of the Chevrolet K2500, but used the front axle usually reserved for the K3500 in the civilian line.
Not sure who wrote this initially, but this part is inaccurate. A Chevrolet K2500 doesn’t exist. Secondly, it is definitely a K30 frame with more frame bracing than the civilian Chevy K30/GMC K3500. The k10/20 and k1500/2500 uses a shorter frame that was just slightly lighter weight steel.

The leaf spring packs are bundled differently in the rear. There are a couple other things besides what’s already been mentioned in this thread. The cab is easy to identify by the extra radio bracing behind the dash. It also houses the jack behind the seat on the passenger side. It has blackout switches integrated into the light wiring harness, too.

I recall reading that the 208 was used for the lower geared low range. One factor for choosing the 205, for the models equipped with one, was the potential for pto output.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Good info - thanks. So anyone know if the bumpers will bolt up to a civilian model? If the frame is different, are the brackets different? I'd love to put a set of the Blazer bumpers on my Suburban, if it doesn't involve a huge amount of fabrication...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good info - thanks. So anyone know if the bumpers will bolt up to a civilian model? If the frame is different, are the brackets different? I'd love to put a set of the Blazer bumpers on my Suburban, if it doesn't involve a huge amount of fabrication...
id assume the frame mounting brackets would work fine it was the thickness it sounds was different. if it could fit a c30 or a k30 it should fit that

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
The bumpers are bumpers. Painted, chrome, chrome with bumper strip, step painted, step chrome. Mount the same way. The cucv did have more tow hooks, tie downs, brush guards and other **** attached to them though.

Your avatar pic looks to have the style bumper with strip on it. Which bumper are you wanting to put on it, the smooth chrome?

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
The bumpers are bumpers. Painted, chrome, chrome with bumper strip, step painted, step chrome. Mount the same way. The cucv did have more tow hooks, tie downs, brush guards and other **** attached to them though.

Your avatar pic looks to have the style bumper with strip on it. Which bumper are you wanting to put on it, the smooth chrome?
Yep, mine is chrome with the rubber trim strip on it. I'd like to go with a set of the CUCV painted ones, including the extra tow points, painted to match the body. Brush guard would be handy too, lots of deer out where I live. Mine are in great shape, I just like the look of the painted ones better.

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983/1984
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump/M1010
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c/6.2 diesel
The CUCV vehicles had a split 12/24 system with two 12 alternators but one was isolated ground and the other was not. The 24 volt power was used for Starter, Glow plugs, and NATO plug. The glow plugs used the 24v power but ran a big resister in series with them to drop the voltage to 12 volts. I believe this was to keep the batteries balanced more than anything. They could have used 24 v glow plugs just as easily I would think. The system worked pretty well with a few issues. I had a M1009, (military version of the Blazer) that I drove for 18 years and loved it. The only reason I sold it was because the kids didn't like climbing in the back when they started getting bigger. I went with a 5.7 V1500 Suburban with a/c after that but miss my M1009 and the diesel. The M1009 was on a standard Blazer chassis with slightly heavier springs, used a NP208 transfer case and 400 transmission and regular 10 bolt front and rear end with the addition of the gov loc in the rear. The gov lock was not a strong point and failed often as did the crank if the harmonic balancer failed. Otherwise it was a great vehicle.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
I worked for the first company (Stewart & Stevenson) that built the FMTV family of vehicles and it, too, had the 12/24 volt system. I don't know who's dual voltage alternator Chevy put on the CUCV, should be a tag on it, but if yours is the same one the FMTV had and it ever fails, you'd best have a lot of cash on hand as they ain't cheap. As I recall, when a military unit needed a replacement they paid around 1500 bucks for one, which was, at least, 20 years ago. A friend of mine has a surplus FMTV he uses on his ranch, and he converted it to all 12 volts, which means he had to put lots of 12 volt items on it like starter motor and any other 24 volt items. You'd probably have to replace the glow plugs.

Another story about the glow plugs on the 6.2 L diesel your CUCV has. I worked for another defense contractor and we built several prototype vehicles for TACOM which had 6.2 L diesels in them and were forever having glow plug problems. When they failed, the end that got hot would literally explode and puff out so you had to take the head off to get them out. Had to go to a Chevy dealership to get head gasket sets. I replaced lots of them in the field during testing of the vehicles. Not fun. This problem may have only been on the 24V glow plugs, and not the 12V ones. Good luck with your CUCV.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
The NP205 came on the trucks that needed the PTO. I would have to review the documents I have from the steel soldiers forum to figure out exactly which variants. The cucv also had a blackout light. Not sure if that's what you're confusing with "backlight". It would kill all lights internal and external. They had IR lights to see each other in hostile territory.

The best resource I have found it at the link below. It's the operator's manual for the CUCVs.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/CUCV/TM9-2320-289-10.pdf

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I want to add a thing to this old thread as I'm looking at a CUCV Blazer and it appears that it has no cabin ventilation. Dashboard has no vents and there appears to be no climate controls. I guess this means no cabin heat, this may be important for someone willing to use one in a winter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627-093054.png
    Screenshot_20230627-093054.png
    387.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20230627-093044.png
    Screenshot_20230627-093044.png
    426.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20230627-093007.png
    Screenshot_20230627-093007.png
    519 KB · Views: 43

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You have a non AC truck. They had no top vents. You have heat through bottom vents and defrost vents.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I didn't know that. I was not aware that no A/C meant no dash vents. When I zoomed in I can see that there is a heater contro that I didn't notice, it's just the vent which is missing. I guess my post can be deleted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli