crooked crossmember/ warped frame???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liltroy

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey guys I need some help/ opinions please. I have a 74 stepside and just dropped the transmission(th400) to replace the front seal. when I was unbolting the crossmember it seems that the passenger side uses the factory bolt holes but the drivers side is about an inch back and has had new holes drilled. The tail of the trans seems to be centered between the frame rails so the only way I can see that this would be possible is if the frame was slightly tweaked on one side??? If I try to slide the crossmmber forward an inch on the drivers side to match the factory holes then the trans mount doesnt quit line up with the holes in the crossmember. Where can I take measurements to figure out if one side of my frame is pushed back(possible from a front end hit on one side) or if the frame is warped somehow? Any help would be appreciated.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
my first thought is your truck originally had a turbo 350 and someone swapped in the 400

the 400 is longer than the 350 so it would need the holes in the frame farther back

I would bet someone forced the cross member to bolt up on the one side and just drilled new holes for the other so the cross member would be crooked

I would bolt the cross member to the mount then get it straight on the frame. so the cross member is straight then drill new holes

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Great frame info Dan.

I would be cautious of drilling to many holes too close together for the tranny cross member. Or invest in a 1/4 plate to install above and below the frame with the correct bolt hole dimensions of your cross member. 4 in total. Kinda like giant size washers.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, it should be a Th350.

Liltroy

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i understand the th350 suggestion but the issue i have is that the crossmember doesnt look crooked despite the the fact that its bolted back an inch on the drivers side thats why i was worried about the frame. ill crawl under there and take measurements to see if it is in fact crooked. thanks for the link and suggestions guys.

Liltroy

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ok i have confirmed the truck originally came with the th400 so thats not it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Can you post a picture of the issue? If new holes were needed because the frame was tweaked, it should be plainly obvious. Maybe the holes are factory and somebody hogged them out for larger/incorrect bolts?

ok i have confirmed the truck originally came with the th400 so thats not it.

Out of curiosity, how did you confirm this?

Liltroy

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
options tag in glovebox says m40 which is th400 transmission. a th350 would have had rpo code mx1. at least thats what everything Ive been able to find says. I could be wrong but everywhere Ive looked says rpo code m40 is for th400 3 speed auto.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is a picture of the frame and mounting/bracketing stuff:

You must be registered for see images attach

I could be wrong but everywhere Ive looked says rpo code m40 is for th400 3 speed auto.

You're not - wrong.

M40 76 88 TRANSMISSION,3-SPO AUTO (THM400)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64