Crate Motor for a 77 C20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dxtrmrrs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hey, im pretty new to all this, but I was wondering. Ive been looking through my LMC truck catalog, because I really want to restore and upgrade my truck. Theres a lot I want to do (new carb, new alternator, performace headers, performance intake manifold, the list goes on and on ha.) But.... the more I think about it, my engine (350) was replaced about 8 years ago, and its in decent running condition, but it has its leaks, and has deteriorated over time. I feel like I would be better off replacing it before putting money into performance parts. Any thoughts? If I could just put in a new crate motor, I feel like it would be better and more worthwile. where could I find one that would be best suited for my truck? and how much money would be involved? Never swapped a motor myself, just trying to get some ideas and research into it.
-Thanks

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You could either rebuild what you currently have or go with a crate motor. When building my '77 I went with a crate motor and ordered it from a GM dealership out in Illinois as they offered the best pricing we could find. We got the crate motor that came ready to go right out of the crate. I believe the price shipped to my door was around $4k. We literally pulled the old, tired 305 and put the crate motor in and it fired up. We had to make some small timing tweaks and dial in the carb adjustments (and of course add fluids :lol:) but that's it. It came balanced and ready to go. IMO not bad for that price and the time we saved ourselves.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
If you can find a great machine shop I would go for the rebuild with good head's , better bang for your buck. Crate motor's are subject to poor quality control , so you get a good one or a not so good one , (rolling the dice).
IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don