Cracked frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My frame is cracked on top and goes into a hole where the box gets bolted down. How do I go about fixing this or any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 100

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
V the crack out with a grinder and weld it , then get the ord frame brace kit and put it on. Or they sell a plate kit that looks like crap , (IMO) , but it works and the other thing I have done is box the frame on the back side with sleeves between the outer frame rail and the inner frame rail ,(you welded in) around the bolts , and you are good to go. That's the ways I have done it but I don't like the plate kit because of the look of it , now I just weld the cracks and use the brace kit , no problems.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My frame is cracked on top and goes into a hole where the box gets bolted down. How do I go about fixing this or any ideas?

Did you mean steering box or truck bed box?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So it's on top of the rail, or the bottom. can't make out the in the pic very well. But nonetheless, neither would be a critical spot as of yet and it's not very long. You can probably get by with hitting the end of the crack with a drill bit and drill a hole. That should stop the crack from growing. Then I'd use a thick washer over the crack to spread the torque out over the crack.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
ooop's I will shut up now

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Maybe you shouldn't. I see that pic again, and notice the crack is longer than I first thought. It's more than halfway to the edge of the rail. A V grind and a quick tap with the welder might not be a bad idea. Must be cracked frame week. I think that's about #3 this week. Got a bed box crack, a shock mount crack, and a steering box crack seems to be about a once a month ordeal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10