Cooling system Problems / Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

circuitguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BIG-C
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton Stepside
Engine Size
350 / 5.7
Any suggestions on how and with what to clean out the water jackets in my engine block. Got the block out of the truck, runs great so no need for a rebuild but I need to clean out all the rust and garbage in the water jackets of the block before I reinstall it. Any help would be great.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I cannot think of a method to clean it while the block is out of the truck. I cleaned mine in November 2013 in the truck. Did a whole cooling system cleaning. If I wasn't on my phone writing this, I could find the link to thread on how I did it. It took a week to do it but it was worth it. I checked the coolant last week and it still looks pristine, and the temp gauge stays down by the first mark above C even on triple digit hot days.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Seal it up with vinegar inside. That will do the trick.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Got the block out of the truck,

Do you mean it is a stripped down block - with the heads, intake manifold and water pump removed?

That requires a hot tank type cleaning. But if you mean that the engine is still intact, you can do a real good flush of the watersides. To really clean the cooling passages, set up a recirc pump and flush the system with a heavy solution of CLR (use the ZEP brand - it's much more effective).

Basically it goes like this:

Get a good-sized bucket, some kind of a small pump, and the necessary pipe fittings/hoses. The pump takes suction from the bucket, tee off the pump discharge and connect to both block drains. At the top - connect a hose to the thermostat housing outlet and lead it back to the bucket. Block off the water pump inlet from the radiator and the heater hose nipple on the intake manifold. Add a bottle of CLR to the bucket. Start the pump and add just enough water to the bucket so you get a flow out of the thermostat housing (without sucking the bucket dry).

Let the pump recirculate the solution for a day or so.

Pull the hoses from cooling system drains on both sides of the block and flush from the top down.

I have always been able to get the plugs out.

Just use a 6-point socket and tap the heads a few times with a hammer before cranking on them.

If they are stubborn, use the old trick of cranking them in the tightening direction first and then try backing them out.

When you pull them be aware that the coolant passages behind them will be absolutely jam packed with sediment. It will take some serious digging just to get a trickle started - and then for quite a while after they will keep getting plugged up again.

But eventually you will get a good solid stream of clear water flowing out.

At that point you can start chemically cleaning with a re-circ pump (described above).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner