Converting from Manual to Power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
steering and I have a few questions. I currently have a 3 on the tree, no tilt column w/manual steering box. Im wanting to switch to a manual shift column as I will be putting a 6 speed on the floor.

1. Is the steering shaft (piece between the column and steering box) the same between the two?

2. I know I need to switch out the steering box to a power unit, but do I need to change anything else? Steering arm, pit-man arm, etc etc??

3. Are there any links to threads where someone has done this already?

Thanks!

Craig

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your '87 has manual steering? I thought power was standard by that point. Interesting.

A power box should be a direct swap, although I'm unsure about the pitman arm. I'd assume they are the same between manual and power units.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't throw that manual steering box away. I sure wouldn't mind having one if it's in good shape and not as loose as a $10 *****.

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
Your '87 has manual steering? I thought power was standard by that point. Interesting.

A power box should be a direct swap, although I'm unsure about the pitman arm. I'd assume they are the same between manual and power units.

I was on Rock Auto and they showed 2 different arms (1 for PS and 1 for Man), so I ordered a New/reman AC Delco PS unit and AC Pitman arm.
I also ordered a used, great shape floor shift column as my truck came with the following options....

4.3, Manual Brakes, Manual Steering, 3 on the tree, rear slider window, AC and thats it! It was bought new from a 54 year old woman and daily driven for 70K!

Don't throw that manual steering box away. I sure wouldn't mind having one if it's in good shape and not as loose as a $10 *****.

The ONLY reason Im switching to PS is because Im swapping in an LS and it has the PS and AC, so I figured, why not. It might be a bit easier for my girls to learn to drive a manual trans vehicle also with the PS.:)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Manual Steering and Brakes never scared me at all. I like the simplicity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm