Constant power for new radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thaddybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I dont have a constant power wire for the radio in my truck. Was the old dual knob style radio. So my question is for my cd player I put in can I get constant power from the fuse box that wont drain the battery? Or any other place that is easy to get to.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Run a constant from the fuse box. Lol, atleast you still have a harness, the PO cut out mine and ran wires from the fusebox.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
yea I had to completely rewire mine too lmao

thaddybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yeah after I asked I looked around some more, didnt find the wire but low and behold a battery connection in the fuse box. DUH!!! Thanx anyway.

byproxy

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
350 V8
so which connection is it on the fuse box? i dont see anything clearly labeled on my box... 1973 gmc sierra.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I dont have a constant power wire for the radio in my truck. Was the old dual knob style radio. So my question is for my cd player I put in can I get constant power from the fuse box that wont drain the battery? Or any other place that is easy to get to.

Constant power is the solid orange wire. check the fuses, i think it runs with the cig lighter and horn.

thaddybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My 87 doesnt have an orange wire anywhere coming out of the fuse box. The battery connection was the very top right spot in the fuse box. The po took out the cig lighter as well as the horn wire when he put one the aftermarket steering wheel.

Meyster89

Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
When I did mine, I just tapped into the cig lighter wire. Always hot!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I`d probably forget to turn offt the radio and come out to a dead battree. :insane: :help: :roflbow:

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I`d probably forget to turn offt the radio and come out to a dead battree. :insane: :help: :roflbow:

The constant power for modern radios is for the clock and memory features (like saving your programmed radio stations). It uses an extremely small amount of battery to do so and won't drain a battery for quite some time (many, many months if not longer). You won't be able to listen to the radio off, It's not like that.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The constant power for modern radios is for the clock and memory features (like saving your programmed radio stations). It uses an extremely small amount of battery to do so and won't drain a battery for quite some time (many, many months if not longer). You won't be able to listen to the radio off, It's not like that.

OOOOOOOHHHhhhh, OK, now I getit, not an old radio, a new modern unit. :p

Many many mooons ago, when I was juz getting startd with vehicles, I reewired the radio so it was on constant power, thought it would be K00L to set at the HS parking lot and listen to tunes, CCR and such, but, one time, I had turned the volume down for some mysterious reason, then forgot to turn off the switch.
Well, being poor and running on a ' Just Barely " battree, when I come out of school, there was`nt enough juice left to getit started. :lol::Big Laugh:

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OOOOOOOHHHhhhh, OK, now I getit, not an old radio, a new modern unit. :p

Many many mooons ago, when I was juz getting startd with vehicles, I reewired the radio so it was on constant power, thought it would be K00L to set at the HS parking lot and listen to tunes, CCR and such, but, one time, I had turned the volume down for some mysterious reason, then forgot to turn off the switch.
Well, being poor and running on a ' Just Barely " battree, when I come out of school, there was`nt enough juice left to getit started. :lol::Big Laugh:

:Big Laugh: And I did the same thing with it wired correctly. I had a truck that allowed me to pull the key out when it was in the accessory position so I'd turn on the radio, pull the key, and do whatever it is kids do in parking lots. With the key out certain trouble with the authorities wasn't possible so there were certain benefits. Problem was, I'd forget and then - click, click, click. To be a kid again.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:Big Laugh: And I did the same thing with it wired correctly. I had a truck that allowed me to pull the key out when it was in the accessory position so I'd turn on the radio, pull the key, and do whatever it is kids do in parking lots. With the key out certain trouble with the authorities wasn't possible so there were certain benefits. Problem was, I'd forget and then - click, click, click. To be a kid again.

:happy175::happy175::lol::fishing1::happy107:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly