Comments. go with a crate or rebuild the orig 305 block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I know a lot of guys are suggesting the 260hp crate, but I would consider the L31-R also. Roller cam, 1 pc. rear main seal, and better compression with Vortec heads. The only drawback is I am unsure of the fuel pump mounting pad. I think you may need to run an electric pump because there is no provision for a mechanical pump.
Better hp, tq, rpm range, might lose a tiny pinch of tq down low, but those vortec heads are the best GM pre LS power makers.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I considered it, but it's not my daily driver and I'm not after a bunch of extra hp. For the money it was the best solution for me. It will probably last me a good long time and 3 years from now when the warranty is up I will probably do a cam swap to get some extra umph. I'm going to use it to drive around and keep miles off my newer pickup and am on the hunt for a 2wd or a car to build up and hot rod in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I did a rebuild on mine, budget oriented it ran up around $450 total. Couldn't afford the crate. If you have the money for it, then warranty is nice to have.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I did a rebuild on mine, budget oriented it ran up around $450 total. Couldn't afford the crate. If you have the money for it, then warranty is nice to have.
Where did you get your parts and was there machine work done?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I had mine priced a little over $2k with a bore, full head job, new rotating assembly and everything else I needed. My machine work was probably higher than average. I didn't have a source for super cheap parts or anything. People are always telling me they can rebuild for $500 but idk how.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had mine priced a little over $2k with a bore, full head job, new rotating assembly and everything else I needed. My machine work was probably higher than average. I didn't have a source for super cheap parts or anything. People are always telling me they can rebuild for $500 but idk how.

Fully agree with you. Machine work around here is around $1000 to get the stock bottom end reworked. I believe $500 rebuilds, but they should not be compared to a crate motor. Completely different animals.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
To the OP... if you want to keep your truck all original, yes rebuild the 305. If you don't care about that, and do decide to rebuild, you can get a 350 core for $100 to use instead of your 305.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will add that my motor already had 30 over Pistons in it and I didn't want to spend the money and go more. I traded my 2 bolt block to the guy helping me with my swap so I don't owe him anything. I kept the heads, oil pan, valve covers, harmonic balancer, intake, dizzy and all the other accessories. Basically just gave him the block.

ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
I know a lot of guys are suggesting the 260hp crate, but I would consider the L31-R also. Roller cam, 1 pc. rear main seal, and better compression with Vortec heads. The only drawback is I am unsure of the fuel pump mounting pad. I think you may need to run an electric pump because there is no provision for a mechanical pump.

Not that most people care or drive these things for hypermilling, but what kind of MPG would the L31-R get, for that matter what about the crate 350s?

I am contemplating the ease of a crate 350 swap compared to the hassle of a 5.3/4l80e swap in the 76. I won't be driving this all the time but when i do it will be about 60 miles each way. Plus I like to head down to the beach and take the boat out fishing a few times a month and if all i am getting is 4-10mpg that may get a little expensive. :)

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not that most people care or drive these things for hypermilling, but what kind of MPG would the L31-R get, for that matter what about the crate 350s?

I am contemplating the ease of a crate 350 swap compared to the hassle of a 5.3/4l80e swap in the 76. I won't be driving this all the time but when i do it will be about 60 miles each way. Plus I like to head down to the beach and take the boat out fishing a few times a month and if all i am getting is 4-10mpg that may get a little expensive. :)

:gathering:

I have learned you can't worry about MPG's with these trucks. They are shaped like a brick after all. In saying that, I think one might realistically expect 15 MPG in a nicely set up rig that has been tuned in. I have heard of a rare few getting around 20 MPG, but the majority seem to fall in the 10-15 MPG range. Specific parts and set ups will dictate were you end up.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
350....and no regrets. You'll be happier with it. Pair it up with a 700r4 and enjoy the overdrive. My square cruises 70mph at 1400rpm in overdrive with the 700r4.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The GM 260 HP crate motor. It will add power, its new and it will be about as much as doing a full rebuild in the end if you have machine work done to the 305.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I like greenscots idea I have the L31 and am putting it in my truck soon. It is modified so I cant tell ya much about its performance in stock form but I do think it is the best deal as far as crate motors go. It was under 2K to my door. Lots of advancements over the 260 HP crate motor but not as cheep to swap due to you not being able to reuse your old intake manifold, flex plate, distributor gear and the extra cost of the motor it self. Killer deal though.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Don't get the L31 if you want to do a cam swap in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17