Clutch Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Can anyone recommend a good clutch kit for my 2500 suburban?

454 TBI
SM465
NP205

I use the truck mostly for towing anywhere from 5k-10k lbs, but I also drive it around town when I get bored of my daily driver. I haven't pulled the transmission yet, but will be doing that in the next week or 2. The clutch that is currently in it (the previous owner installed) is supposedly a heavy duty clutch disc. It has A LOT of grab, which is not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to towing, but it is not very street friendly either. I am looking for something that has a good mix between street manners and grabbing power for towing.

Pic just because :waytogo:
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A quality stock type clutch should work fine I would think.

BTW, you let me know if you ever want to sell that thing, lol.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice pic!

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
A quality stock type clutch should work fine I would think.

BTW, you let me know if you ever want to sell that thing, lol.

Are you talking about a parts store clutch? Or by "quality" do you mean something along the lines of Centerforce or other name brand? I am certainly not scared to spend money on good, reliable, durable parts, especially if its something I don't want to have to do again anytime soon.

I don't foresee myself getting rid of the dirtyburb anytime soon...and maybe not ever! This thing is just too much fun to drive, and way too useful when it comes to towing my toys. But I'll keep you in mind if I ever have a total meltdown and decide to let it go.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are you talking about a parts store clutch? Or by "quality" do you mean something along the lines of Centerforce or other name brand? I am certainly not scared to spend money on good, reliable, durable parts, especially if its something I don't want to have to do again anytime soon.

I don't foresee myself getting rid of the dirtyburb anytime soon...and maybe not ever! This thing is just too much fun to drive, and way too useful when it comes to towing my toys. But I'll keep you in mind if I ever have a total meltdown and decide to let it go.

A parts store clutch would probably be up to the task, but I was thinking more along the same lines as you. A basic Centerforce, Hays, etc.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
After doing some additional research, I opted for the Ram Powergrip clutch kit. Based on my conversations with Ram, and with the folks at Summit Racing, this kit should have plenty of grip, as it is rated for a significantly higher clamping force than stock, but not to the point that it will wear out your leg. And it is not a puck style clutch disc like my current clutch, so it should have much better driveability than my current setup. Looking forward to getting this thing in. Will report back with the verdict.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
so how did it work out? I run a hybrid clutch, mine is metallic on the pressure plate side. works great and last for a long time. current clutch is 12 years old. this truck is a DD. just don' slip the clutch. highdesertranger

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Unfortunately nothing to report yet. I did get the clutch installed and the transmission back in. But I have several other items to tackle before I get it all back together and on the street. Time to work on the burb has been limited lately.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Happy to finally be able to report that the verdict on the new clutch is :waytogo:

It is MUCH more street friendly than my old clutch, but still seems to grab very well. I haven't pulled my trailer yet, but I am not anticipating any issues. Here are a couple pics, because lets face it, this thread is worthless without pics...

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Man that is clean!

Nice truck!

WHat gears you have in that? 4.10? What kinda mpg do you get?

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Thanks for the compliments!

Currently the truck has 3.73s in the rear (14 bolt full floater). To be honest, I have never checked the fuel mileage. Previous owner told me it was 9 regardless of towing or empty. I wouldn't doubt it.

The previous owner put an 8-lug GM 10 bolt in the front with 4.10 gears. I have a matching set of 1 ton axles from a Dodge w250 to swap in. Dana 70 rear (full floater) and Dana 60 kingpin front, both with 3.54 gears. I am hoping to gain a couple MPGs when I do the swap.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I know its out of order, but here's another pic, because pics are better than words.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
You'll like the 3.54's, especially with a big block. A vortec 350 can probably push the 3.54's just fine, but a stock SB bogs down on steep grades with 3.54's. Nice gears though. You'll turn 2,610 rpm's doing 70 mph with a 31.9 inch tire.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I am really looking forward to doing the swap. I don't think I'll get around to it for a few months though. I am currently running 33's, and will likely be jumping up to 35's when I put the new axles in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod