Clean old windows- years of gunk!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Hey guys, I appreciate everyone’s support on my journey restoring my 86 suburban K2500.

My budget is a bit tight so right now I’m focusing on cleaning everything up because there is about a year and a half of dirt on this bad boy and the previous owner was living out of it for a period of time.

That being said, on the outside, I’ve got a lot of Oklahoma clay and desert dust remains after a power wash, and Windex is really not cutting it. I am using blue shop paper towels, but there is still a lot of scum on the windows. I tried hitting everything with a razor blade but that’s not doing it either. Should I go with 90% rubbing alcohol and coat the outside windows?

On the interior it’s a bit of a different story. The previous owner added window tint, and I do not want to do anything to compromise that because I can’t afford to redo it right now. Any suggestions on how to clean old glass that has window tint?

I also must say whoever did the glass did a very nice job. Tinting these old windows from what I understand is pretty challenging and so far I don’t see any discoloration or bubbles so if I can get away with it, I’m just going to tint the front windows and back windows to match it, and call it a day as a finishing touch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 54

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like just baked on water spots from the pic you posted.
Heck I got cars less than 10 years of that look like that and they get washed regularly!
Try straight vinegar first. Or if that doesn’t work, something like CLR.
If that doesn’t work, a polisher and polishing compound.
That would be my order of OPs.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I used a clay mitt made a huge difference.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I read recently that a clay bar and lube kit will work. They sell them at the auto parts store, but I always assumed they were only for cleaning up dingy paint.

poker man

Reaction score
First Name
jerry braaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
clay bar ,then vinager mixed with water in a spay bottel,use a mico soft rag

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Bon-Ami

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
I use the 0000 steel wool on mine. I'm needing to try the CLR trick though. The water here is really bad.
Yep, Prescott, AZ water ruins faucets and toilets faster than anywhere else I've lived. Hard water just means more maintenance I guess. CLR can work ok. I've found "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser and steel wool gets glass clean faster however.

Long Rider

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I use a wetsponge buffing pad and some polishing compound. It even takes off old water spots and baked on crud.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Yep, Prescott, AZ water ruins faucets and toilets faster than anywhere else I've lived. Hard water just means more maintenance I guess. CLR can work ok. I've found "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser and steel wool gets glass clean faster however.
I'm in Cottonwood

Rebus

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't use anything abrasive! It will leave the glass with a permanent haze and even dangerous to drive at night. No cleansers, no steel-wool, no scouring pads -- even cheap paper towels will damage glass.
Out of the sun, start with a soft cloth or pad soaked in a mineral dissolving solution. CLR or Lime-away are effective products. Both are acidic with ingredients like sulfamic acid or gluconic acid. One can use vinegar which has some acetic acid content, but the CLR or Lime-away are stronger and therefore work faster.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad