Choke light on after carb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacman1318

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Put a holley with a electric choke on the 350 and hooked the choke wire up but now the choke light on the dash is staying on.
any ideas?

Sprockmonster

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Does it go off when the wire is unplugged? This happened to me and the choke didn't seem to be grounded. I took it off and applied plenty of dielectric grease on the connections to be sure that everything is connected and it worked.

pacman1318

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Does it go off when the wire is unplugged? This happened to me and the choke didn't seem to be grounded. I took it off and applied plenty of dielectric grease on the connections to be sure that everything is connected and it worked.

I will check that tomorrow, I started the truck before I connected the choke wire and might have blown a fuse. it was late and I was tired and forgot about it till I was double checking everything.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine was on too when I swapped carbs. I think I had the choke plugged into the original choke wire. I just ran a dedicated choke wire to an IGN terminal in the fuse box and called it good.

Sprockmonster

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Does anyone know where the electric choke wire runs to? In these past few days, the choke does not really want to kick down automatically. It is a new electronic choke and when i jump it, it works, but sometimes the wire feeding it does not have power with the ignition on.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Does anyone know where the electric choke wire runs to? In these past few days, the choke does not really want to kick down automatically. It is a new electronic choke and when i jump it, it works, but sometimes the wire feeding it does not have power with the ignition on.

It runs through the oil pressure switch. Yours will probably be on the back of the block. When oil pressure is established, it sends power to the choke. If it's bad it will cause your choke light to stay on. Simple piece to replace and it only costs a few bucks.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It runs through the oil pressure switch. Yours will probably be on the back of the block. When oil pressure is established, it sends power to the choke. If it's bad it will cause your choke light to stay on. Simple piece to replace and it only costs a few bucks.

My '84 had it run down to a pressure switch above the oil filter (factory too). The choke and light worked properly before the carb swap, just not after. I don't know why and never looked into it. The harness was oil soaked and I chose to just run a new choke wire instead.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My '84 had it run down to a pressure switch above the oil filter (factory too). The choke and light worked properly before the carb swap, just not after. I don't know why and never looked into it. The harness was oil soaked and I chose to just run a new choke wire instead.

Yea there is another tap above the oil filter. My 85 is tapped at the back is why I said that. I recently had problems with my choke so I tapped into the windshield wiper motor. I would not suggest doing that, as now the light only goes off of my windshield wipers are on, and now only the right blinker works, and the gas gauge doesn't work. I'm sure the problems are un related, but when you go messing with 30 year old wiring, **** goes haywire. You can try running a jumper to a key on power source like I did, just beware of side effects.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I know where the pressure taps are. I just was pointing out that my truck is an '84 like the OP's truck and the choke power was run through the switch by the oil filter. The gauge sender was up by the distributor.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I know where the pressure taps are. I just was pointing out that my truck is an '84 like the OP's truck and the choke power was run through the switch by the oil filter. The gauge sender was up by the distributor.

That may actually be a more accurate description than mine. The motor in my 85 was an early 70s 350,
So maybe that has something to do with location. I'm not really sure.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It's pretty easy to overheat those chokes. They must be vented properly... Which Holley do you have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17