Chevy 350 Q-Jet K&N Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a carbureted 350 Q-Jet in my 79 C20 and I just got my K&N air filter for it. I ordered the one from the K&N website - the E-1450 - and I am very surprised to find that it is too short! It is the right diameter, it's just too short to contact the filter housing lid. All of the searching I have done tells me that this is the correct filter, so... :shrug: Am I missing something completely obvious here?

Thanks!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I posted that same question yesterday about my edelbrock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I posted that same question yesterday about my edelbrock

Glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Hopefully someone knows.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Mine contacts the fuel line and choke on one side and the throttle linkage on the other. Was able to get it to seat, but the linkage hit it when I started it and the throttle stuck open. I just ordered a qjet and wondered if it would fit any better.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
maybe somebody changed the air filter housing out for one that uses the tall filter when stock your truck was supposed to use a short one?

I want to say the last 2wd 1/2 tons we had used short filters and the k10 1/2 4wd used tall ones but I can't remember for sure.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yeah mine doesn't hit anything or rub anywhere - it's just too short. My filter housing has the EGR port in it (which might get patched at some point), and it has a shaft running to the grill for a cold air intake. The filter element is totally enclosed. It looks similar to this one.
You must be registered for see images

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Mine contacts the fuel line and choke on one side and the throttle linkage on the other. Was able to get it to seat, but the linkage hit it when I started it and the throttle stuck open. I just ordered a qjet and wondered if it would fit any better.

all you needed was a cheap spacer for the air cleaner or a raised base. NOT a drop base like most are.

His question is the filter itself fitting in a stock houseing yours sounds like an aftermarket housing setup from edelbrock? or when you say eddy you mean the carb and now you are going back to a q-jet?

stock q jet air leaner bases are drop bases and won't fit the edelbrock carbs.

Most aftermarket like chrome air cleaner setups have drop base also, which won't fit, but with a spacer or the raised base they work fine.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
maybe somebody changed the air filter housing out for one that uses the tall filter when stock your truck was supposed to use a short one?

I want to say the last 2wd 1/2 tons we had used short filters and the k10 1/2 4wd used tall ones but I can't remember for sure.

We just put the engine in the truck 1000 miles ago from a crate. It's the exact same engine that came in the truck, and everything on top of the carb is original to the truck. It's a 1.5 owner truck - sold but within the family. The filter housing has never been changed.

Do you know where I can find info on tall vs short filters? A google search didn't yield much.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
all you needed was a cheap spacer for the air cleaner or a raised base. NOT a drop base like most are.

His question is the filter itself fitting in a stock houseing yours sounds like an aftermarket housing setup from edelbrock? or when you say eddy you mean the carb and now you are going back to a q-jet?

stock q jet air leaner bases are drop bases and won't fit the edelbrock carbs.

Most aftermarket like chrome air cleaner setups have drop base also, which won't fit, but with a spacer or the raised base they work fine.

I get what he's asking now. 2 different problems. Mine is and aftermarket chrome cleaner. It has the drop base. I just wondered if it would fit the qjet better. I ordered a cheap 9"x2" setup and they sent me a 14"x5". It just sets too low and hit the throttle linkage on the side of the carb.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We just put the engine in the truck 1000 miles ago from a crate. It's the exact same engine that came in the truck, and everything on top of the carb is original to the truck. It's a 1.5 owner truck - sold but within the family. The filter housing has never been changed.

Do you know where I can find info on tall vs short filters? A google search didn't yield much.

Summit specifies. I'm sure auto parts stores do too. You can buy 1", 2", 4" and 5" tall filters I know. You probably just need a 2" filter. Do you have the old filter that was in the housing? You can just measure how thick it is.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep the drop base filter housing will fit the 1jet just fine that's what they had stock.

I ran into the same problems on several rucks with eddy carbs.

I want the 5 or 6 inch filter for my 88 non squarebody but not sure how tall of a filter will fit with the raised base and the hood shut.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Mine has a body lift on it so the motor is lower. I still have plenty of room.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good to know It will work on the qjet. Now I won't have to return it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
shame you had to buy a new carb though.

eh tons preffer the quad to the eddy anyways. I'm an eddy guy

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
shame you had to buy a new carb though.

eh tons preffer the quad to the eddy anyways. I'm an eddy guy

I don't know enough about carbs to work on them myself, and all my mechanic help wont touch them. We have a bunch of truck mechanics in our truck shop that race dirt track and build mud run trucks on the side. They help me for free and they all told me to throw the eddy in the trash and buy a qjet. The eddy needs rebuilt and I didn't want to mess with it, so @350runner hooked me up with a guy that custom builds them, so I went that route. The 3mpg was killing me. I have nothing against eddy as a brand, I just had everything against my specific carb that wasn't working for me. Id sure be willing to sell the core when my qjet gets here though lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26