Chevy 350 Q-Jet K&N Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea I've found over the years that even a properly tuned (via wide band) Eddie won't out perform a rebuilt q jet. I was one who was in favor of the eddie for years but got tired of their weak to end and bad mpg.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't know enough about carbs to work on them myself, and all my mechanic help wont touch them. We have a bunch of truck mechanics in our truck shop that race dirt track and build mud run trucks on the side. They help me for free and they all told me to throw the eddy in the trash and buy a qjet. The eddy needs rebuilt and I didn't want to mess with it, so @350runner hooked me up with a guy that custom builds them, so I went that route. The 3mpg was killing me. I have nothing against eddy as a brand, I just had everything against my specific carb that wasn't working for me. Id sure be willing to sell the core when my qjet gets here though lol.

Yeah I've been driving Indy to West Lfayette and I average 13mpg on the whole trip - probably 16 highway and 8-10 city. Not bad overall. I'm hoping to get to 16mpg average with the K&N filter and the 2.25" dual exhaust I'm going to be installing soon. My Q-Jet is pretty much new, since it came new with the engine 1000 miles ago. Just keep your foot out of it and try not to open those other two barrels and your gas gauge won't move faster than your speedo.

And I measured my filter. It's 3-3/8" tall.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I've been driving Indy to West Lfayette and I average 13mpg on the whole trip - probably 16 highway and 8-10 city. Not bad overall. I'm hoping to get to 16mpg average with the K&N filter and the 2.25" dual exhaust I'm going to be installing soon. My Q-Jet is pretty much new, since it came new with the engine 1000 miles ago. Just keep your foot out of it and try not to open those other two barrels and your gas gauge won't move faster than your speedo.

And I measured my filter. It's 3-3/8" tall.

Im not positive, but its probably just a standard 3" filter then. I would call up to your parts store or wherever you got the new filter and tell them you need the factory replacement size.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The K&N E-1500 is the one that will fit. It is listed as the 400 / 454 filter, but its dimensions fit the one that came out of my 350. It's 3.4xx" tall.

I hope someone else that has this problem finds this useful. Order the K&N E-1500.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
eddy carbs are by far the easiest to rebuild. I have never touched one and needed an eddy rebuilt, bought the kit and did it myself, worked perfect and only cost $40.

I was going to attempt a q-jet bought a book and all but seems like alot of work doing the busings and such in them.

Now for original post as mentioned maybe return the k&n measure the old filter height and make sure it's 14 inch dia. and then get ya one of the summit reusable filters in the correct height. They are exactly the same as the k&n filters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Villano