Cheapest 6" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :waytogo: I could see a lift getting done for around $1,000 if you went to the Rough Country vendor on here and got that 10% discount, might save you on shipping. I would avoid a used lift kit, front springs always seem to be sagging and not net as much as you had hoped. Front springs, rear blocks (which I hate but the cheapest kits use them), shocks, steering arm, and front brake lines/rear brake line extension could get you there but you'll still have to address a probable front driveline issue, alignment, and $1,500 worth of new tires and wheels depending on what you go with. And as 8T6K5 said expect added expenses. Impossible to remove leaf spring bolts, broken shock bolts, any number of things you might run into. Gather parts gradually, give your bank account time to recover THEN do the install so you'll have some scratch to take care of the odd things that happen.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ya that's probably what I am going to have to do. Buy everything in pieces over time

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Summit has a superlift , (not the best but ok) for 650.00 , (k440).Comes with springs , block's , u-bolts , steering arm , shock's.You can make your own drop down for the brake lines for now and lower your sway bar yourself as well for now (or just pitch it).You may have to do somthing to your front shaft as well. Then you can get rear springs , real brake lines and anything else you want as you go after that. It's really not a bad idea to run the steering brace or box your frame , they do like to crack at the box.

73Chevy4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Terrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm currently making my own 6" lift... but single parts are more then the kits...

The rear currently has a 4" lift blocks in the rear and it works ok, but I'm putting 4" leafs with a reverse shackle in the rear to get me to 6"..

The fronts have a 4" leaf, but going to coilover in the front..

If you take your time and plan your lift you can make it work really well...

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Of you're going to do it, and invest a lot of money, don't cheap out. Do it right the first time with quality parts.

Which is a worse scenario? Spending $1000 on a lift kit that rides like crap and breaks parts, or $1500 on one that rides nice and is bulletproof?

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok finally getting ready to buy the lift. Question is how is everyone's feelings on the rough country lift? I'm not really worried about the rough ride. I only drive her around town every now and then. Let me know what you think. I only have a $2000 budget for the lift and tires.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had the rough country lift on my previous truck and it did ride very rough. That being said- it is cheaper and maybe you will not mind a rough ride.

I have also learned since then that if you disconnect the sway bar, or get a ORD sway bar correction kit that will make the truck ride better. I wish I would have known that back then.

Basically when you lift the truck the sway bar has to droop way down to attach to the leaf springs. Everytime you hit a bump the axle/springs push upward but the swaybar is now getting compressed instead of swinging upward nicely.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Good info. I'm going with the rough country lift because that's what the budget allows.

bigtalljohn13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
350ci
I love my Rough country lift kit, i think it rides very nice.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have Superlift front springs, Offroad Design shackle flip rear with 56" springs, Offroad Design crossover front steering, eliminated sway bar, and a cheap set of Skyjacker Hydro shocks. Most of this was bought second-hand but still rides pretty damn good. It's nice to hit giant potholes at speed and barely notice them where before with the 4" "Rugged Trail" lift and 33s you would think the truck was going to flip on its top! Any other driving condition you would think you were sitting on a coil sprung wooden bench on a buckboard wagon, bounced so much it would make you nauseous. One thing I have noticed with the 6" lift if you attack an obstacle the spring travel compression/rebound can make for a lot of reaction, I've bounced clear out of my seat and into the middle of the bench a few times getting too aggressive.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So what all does the installation involve?

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
So what all does the installation involve?

Buy some very big sockets and a can of good penetrating oil. Need to soak the suspension bolts for several days. All axle U-bolts need to be removed. The front spring eye bolts need to be removed. The 2 large bolts for the sway bar where it connects the front springs needs to be removed. Remove the pitman arm for steering correction. An alignment.

New brake lines, bleeding the brakes. Removal of old shocks, install the new shocks.

Guess that would be the bare minimum. Also have good tall jack stands and a torque wrench.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So I am currently running 32's on the truck. I am thinking about just getting the six inch rough country lift with the rear springs and running the 32's till I get more funds for new tires. Does anyone have a pic of what this would look like?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I had 4" lift and 31s for a short while and it was terrible looking lol
picture.php