Cheap chit parts….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Guess I’m happy stuff like this is even available, but this is a new repop hood ornament. Been on the truck for just over a year. Truck spends 95% of its life in the garage and rarely out in the rain or snow.
And it’s starting to go to crap already…the little chrome colored band around the red part is already turning black.

You must be registered for see images attach

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Guess I’m happy stuff like this is even available, but this is a new repop hood ornament. Been on the truck for just over a year. Truck spends 95% of its life in the garage and rarely out in the rain or snow.
And it’s starting to go to crap already…the little chrome colored band around the red part is already turning black.

Yep, ya got a crappy one.. there must be different manufacturers.
Mine has been on the truck over 6 years and is still in great shape.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres

I'm waiting on this one. Problem is, I will have to develop a system not unlike a Rolls Royce to hide it under the hood when I'm gone, or it would be gone.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305

I'm waiting on this one. Problem is, I will have to develop a system not unlike a Rolls Royce to hide it under the hood when I'm gone, or it would be gone.
V - Ate

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep, ya got a crappy one.. there must be different manufacturers.
Mine has been on the truck over 6 years and is still in great shape.
Appears so. And it’s just the “front” side. The other side isn’t doing it, yet anyway.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you tailgate?? small stones,, Sand makes it worse.
I’ll plead the 5th on that question…and I rarely drive it. Mostly the boy does.
But it’s not that. It’s not chipped, neither is the front of the truck.
It’s just not sealed or something and the chrome is turning black from literally sitting in a nice dry garage….truck leads a sheltered life. Literally and figuratively!

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There was a time when cars had porcelain badges on their hoods. Fired in Kilns, polished, some hand painted. The manufacturer was proud of their product. Now the plastic junk that replaced it isn't even good for a year indoors... Mechanical parts coming from our auto parts stores are not much better. With the crap coming out of our auto suppliers now, at ridiculous prices, our squares become more important than ever. This weekend I sold a new car and my 81 Square shown next to this note is my daily driver. 2WD long bed in Denver. Should be a fun winter ahead.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not hood ornament but the trim on my truck.

I had some missing trim on the truck when I bought it and though the shop I got a good deal on this stuff.

Looks like I bought the roll September of 2020. It's not identical to the factory trim, but it's close. Well now the chrome, which looks like some kind of thin foil is peeling off of it. None of the 40 year old factory trim is doing that.

It's tolerable for daily driver, but I'd be super pissed if this was a restoration!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not hood ornament but the trim on my truck.

I had some missing trim on the truck when I bought it and though the shop I got a good deal on this stuff.

Looks like I bought the roll September of 2020. It's not identical to the factory trim, but it's close. Well now the chrome, which looks like some kind of thin foil is peeling off of it. None of the 40 year old factory trim is doing that.

It's tolerable for daily driver, but I'd be super pissed if this was a restoration!
Friggin junk…
At least you got a couple 3 years of daily driving out of it.
My trim hasn’t peeled, but half of its fallen off and had to re stick it on.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In days gone by, you could go to the parts store and select an item based on "Economy" "Standard" "Hi Performance" "Heavy Duty" "Commercial".
Today the choices are "Chinese Economy" "Chinese Standard" "American assembled with Chinese parts" and "American currently on backorder".

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
In days gone by, you could go to the parts store and select an item based on "Economy" "Standard" "Hi Performance" "Heavy Duty" "Commercial".
Today the choices are "Chinese Economy" "Chinese Standard" "American assembled with Chinese parts" and "American currently on backorder".
That feels all to true.

And @Grit dog I don't know if either of you followed my fan clutch debacle about 3 years ago, but Hayden makes most store branded fan clutches, plus there own line and they moved from the USA, to Mexica and then split assembly to Italy and China. I think I installed 3 or 4 defective Hayden units, of various store brands before pulling the trigger on a $150 AC Delco unit, which is working fine today and made by who knows, but it works! A lot of junk out there for sure and it's hard to tell some of the good old high quality American manufactures are not high quality. And it's hard to tell who makes what.

Another interesting one Spectra distributors. You might get one produced by Ritchporter of Canada or WIA of China (whoops WIA is actually Korean). Wia is actually decent as is Ritchporter, it's just an example of hard to tell what's going to be in the box!

Last edited:

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
That feels all to true.

And @Grit dog I don't know if either of you followed my fan clutch debacle about 3 years ago, but Hayden makes most store branded fan clutches, plus there own line and they moved from the USA, to Mexica and then split assembly to Italy and China. I think I installed 3 or 4 defective Hayden units, of various store brands before pulling the trigger on a $150 AC Delco unit, which is working fine today and made by who knows, but it works! A lot of junk out there for sure and it's hard to tell some of the good old high quality American manufactures are not high quality. And it's hard to tell who makes what.

Another interesting one Spectra distributors. You might get one produced by Ritchporter of Canada or WIA of China.... Wia is actually decent as is Ritchporter, it's just an example of hard to tell what's going to be in the box!
I thought WIA was Korean...damn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy