Centre of Gravity / Mass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroad Addiction

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350ci
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find the info on what the COG would be on an 81 GMC K2500 (350/350).

Also needing to try find the width from centre of wheel to centre of wheel (stock specs).

I need this info to get the truck certified down here in NZ... Yay for me haha

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Show 'em this. They'll certify it just to get rid of you.

You must be registered for see images attach

The center of gravity is a geometric property of any object. The center of gravity is the average location of the weight of an object. We can completely describe the motion of any object through space in terms of the translation of the center of gravity of the object from one place to another, and the rotation of the object about its center of gravity if it is free to rotate. If the object is confined to rotate about some other point, like a hinge, we can still describe its motion. In flight, both airplanes and rockets rotate about their centers of gravity. A kite, on the other hand, rotates about the bridle point. But the trim of a kite still depends on the location of the center of gravity relative to the bridle point, because for every object the weight always acts through the center of gravity.

Determining the center of gravity is very important for any flying object. How do engineers determine the location of the center of gravity for an aircraft which they are designing?

In general, determining the center of gravity (cg) is a complicated procedure because the mass (and weight) may not be uniformly distributed throughout the object. The general case requires the use of calculus which we will discuss at the bottom of this page. If the mass is uniformly distributed, the problem is greatly simplified. If the object has a line (or plane) of symmetry, the cg lies on the line of symmetry. For a solid block of uniform material, the center of gravity is simply at the average location of the physical dimensions. (For a rectangular block, 50 X 20 X 10, the center of gravity is at the point (25,10, 5) ). For a triangle of height h, the cg is at h/3, and for a semi-circle of radius r, the cg is at (4*r/(3*pi)) where pi is ratio of the circumference of the circle to the diameter. There are tables of the location of the center of gravity for many simple shapes in math and science books. The tables were generated by using the equation from calculus shown on the slide.

For a general shaped object, there is a simple mechanical way to determine the center of gravity:

1. If we just balance the object using a string or an edge, the point at which the object is balanced is the center of gravity. (Just like balancing a pencil on your finger!)
  2. Another, more complicated way, is a two step method shown on the slide. In Step 1, you hang the object from any point and you drop a weighted string from the same point. Draw a line on the object along the string. For Step 2, repeat the procedure from another point on the object You now have two lines drawn on the object which intersect. The center of gravity is the point where the lines intersect. This procedure works well for irregularly shaped objects that are hard to balance.
If the mass of the object is not uniformly distributed, we must use calculus to determine center of gravity. We will use the symbol S dw to denote the integration of a continuous function with respect to weight. Then the center of gravity can be determined from:

cg * W = S x dw

where x is the distance from a reference line, dw is an increment of weight, and W is the total weight of the object. To evaluate the right side, we have to determine how the weight varies geometrically. From the weight equation, we know that:

w = m * g

where m is the mass of the object, and g is the gravitational constant. In turn, the mass m of any object is equal to the density, rho, of the object times the volume, V:

m = rho * V

We can combine the last two equations:

w = g * rho * V

then

dw = g * rho * dV

dw = g * rho(x,y,z) * dx dy dz

If we have a functional form for the mass distribution, we can solve the equation for the center of gravity:

cg * W = g * SSS x * rho(x,y,z) dx dy dz

where SSS indicates a triple integral over dx. dy. and dz. If we don't know the functional form of the mass distribution, we can numerically integrate the equation using a spreadsheet. Divide the distance into a number of small volume segments and determining the average value of the weight/volume (density times gravity) over that small segment. Taking the sum of the average value of the weight/volume times the distance times the volume segment divided by the weight will produce the center of gravity.

Welcome to GMSB!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
We used to "swing" them to determine the CG for brake system development but I did not keep any data.

You can assume the vertical height of the CG to be at the camshaft centerline and the fore/aft location can be calculated based on the weight at each wheel.

K

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Any change in factory equipment or options would effect the COG. It's not a frackin airplane wtf?
And some driver's size would radically effect this.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Any change in factory equipment or options would effect the COG. It's not a frackin airplane wtf?

Yep. And we knew the effect of those changes too.

Mostly for FVMSS regulated brake testing, so - your tax dollars at work - but also for determining and communicating proper camper sizing and loading.

K

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Couldn't help myself.

Hell, you could jack up one side, insert a jack stand, do the same with the other side.
Keep going back and forth till you find it. Unless your fuel tank is on one side, the middle is the middle.

Offroad Addiction

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350ci
Thank you guys for your replies... I should probably add more context to this.

The vehicle is stock currently, if we do a lift above 2" or any body lift we must get a certification for it to be road legal and to get insurance (insurance is optional here).

To be within the certification standards we are only allowed a 10% increase in COG over half the width of the axle.

I have a 6" spring and 1" body lift to go in with 37" tyres which is going to be borderline legal. I am just trying to work it out on paper before I put the lift kit in.

With other vehicles I have built / worked on we always go with the crank bolt as vertical COG but I wasn't sure about GM stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS