Catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
So the old catalytic converter is rotted out on my 1981 250 six cylinder truck. Has anyone replaced theirs with an aftermarket one and are they a direct replacement or are there exhaust mods that have to be done?
What aftermarket converter did you use??
Thanks

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You won't find a direct replacement. The original pellet-style cats (which you can't get anymore) were huge, while the aftermarket honeycomb versions are more compact. Some minor exhaust mods will be required no matter what. I've purchased two replacements since the original burned out. The first was a Magnaflow 95509, it lasted a few years with low annual miles (less than 2k per) but the emissions gradually crept up on every test to the point I had to buy a replacement. I can't find a receipt for the second one but the numbers stamped on it indicates it's a model 80942 made by Walker Manufacturing. Not sure who I bought it from, I just remember doing a search for CARB (California) compliant cats and buying the cheapest one. Your shopping choices should be easier and cheaper being that you can install a Federally compliant unit. Magnaflow has a pretty good search function to drill down through the choices.

Being that the aftermarket units don't have the life expectancy of the oem cat and I didn't want to keep having to buy these, I had both of the cats fitted with flanges after the Magnaflow burned out. This allows me to run the old one until testing time and then the new one is installed just for the test.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Thanks for the heads up, I’m on the fence about it really I live in Pennsylvania and the truck is in a part of the state that does not require an emissions test. But I’ve been told that they look for the cat during inspection and will fail it if it is not there. But I’m thinking of putting classic tags on it which limits the miles you can drive it and I’m not sure if it has to have an annual inspection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69