Carbon/charcoal filter element

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Briano

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I have an ‘83 GMC Suburban,the air cleaner assembly has 2 filters, one is the typical paper filter,the other is a steel mesh filter loaded with carbon or charcoal granules. I believe it is to scrub the smell of lingering gas fumes left in the carb. Does anyone know exactly what it is and which vehicles had it?

Last edited:

wixthedog

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I could be wrong but doesn't that attach to the valve cover for the PVC circuit input?

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I think they all had it. Try a Purolator B20009.

Briano

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Purolator B20009 is the small breather assembly,not questioning that,I’m talking about that large steel mesh filter ring. It’s loaded with carbon/ charcoal granules .

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I thought this was a noise filter similar to new vehicles to cut intake noise on full acceleration. Keith Seymore said it's actually a flame retarder. I've had it on 3 of my '81 & up squares with 454's. I removed it from all 3 as I assume it reduces air flow some what. I haven't had an engine fire yet. It's stuck on with some really good adhesive.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Purolator B20009 is the small breather assembly,not questioning that,I’m talking about that large steel mesh filter ring. It’s loaded with carbon/ charcoal granules .
I have no idea which vehicles did or didn't have it. It may have been partially to absorb vapors, but the Q-jets had bowl vet lines to the charcoal canister so there would have been a fairly minimal amount of vapor. I always thought that it's main purpose was a flame arrestor, as if to protect the air cleaner in the event of a back fire up the intake. And if Keith says that's what they are for then that's it.

Last edited:

Briano

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I thought this was a noise filter similar to new vehicles to cut intake noise on full acceleration. Keith Seymore said it's actually a flame retarder. I've had it on 3 of my '81 & up squares with 454's. I removed it from all 3 as I assume it reduces air flow some what. I haven't had an engine fire yet. It's stuck on with some really good adhesive.

Briano

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks. It sure was glued down!!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Ha! I wasn’t even looking at that. Sorry!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher