Can't find new rear hubs for '74

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks. I could use the extra seats like yours, but I imagine the gas mileage is even worse.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Thanks. I could use the extra seats like yours, but I imagine the gas mileage is even worse.
I got it to 10mpg once! Mostly in the 7-8 range on my trip back to Michigan with it. I just figured it was about average for that truck. It sure could use another gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I get like 11 on the highway and 8-9 around town. I knew it was a bad sign when I bought the truck and discovered it has two 20-gallon tanks.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I get like 11 on the highway and 8-9 around town. I knew it was a bad sign when I bought the truck and discovered it has two 20-gallon tanks.

That's referred to as a "passenger tank"......it's the passengers responsibility to fill it up.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
He just told me he cleaned the drum-to-hub surface and wheel-to-hub surface with an air-tool-powered abrasive, and the hubs are seated correctly. He didn't touch the shoes, so they're not backwards. He said the hubs were seized to the old drums, so he had to hammer them very hard to get them off and must've deformed them slightly.

So, if I need to buy new hubs, can anyone tell me if the hubs for my '74 are the same as the ones used in later years? I can find no info about what hubs go on a 74. The Delco RW20-124 (OEM part # 03977397) are listed as being used from 1982-2000. They "look" the same as mine from the web site photo, but I'd prefer not to spend this money and have them be the wrong ones.
I think your mechanic deformed the drums when using a hammer to remove them. If it were me....he broke it...he replaces it.

Any mechanic knows that instead of using a hammer to remove drums, all you have to do is reverse the adjuster a few turns and disengage the brakes.....

I think his name is Cooter.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
so he had to hammer them very hard to get them off and must've deformed them slightly.

BIG NO NO. That's why God invented PB Blaster and brake cleaner.

I'd pull them back off and make sure the adjusting mechanism and springs are properly in place then, check the drums for cracks and deformaties. Also, some hubs have a 'keeper' over one lug. Make sure that didn't get put on before the hub. That would cause the hub to wobble. I've seen it.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
He hammered on the hubs to get them off the drums because they were seized together. If it were a regular shop, I'd definitely make them pay for it. But this is a guy working for himself, and he's always done good work for me at a reasonable price. I'm just going to chalk it up to old truck complications - sometimes parts get seized together and you end up replacing an adjacent part too. In other words, I'll give him a pass this time based on my past experience with him.

I guess I'm going to buy the new hubs. I can always return them if that turns out not to be the problem. I am pretty sure - as sure as I can be based on what I can find - that my '74 has the same hubs as the later years, AC Delco RW20-124 (OEM # 03977397). The drums are the same, and even though no part search engine shows a hub for the '74, I can tell the Delco part is the right one from at least the late 70s until 2000. One of the compatible models lists also shows the Cheyenne, which I think they stopped making in '75 or thereabouts. Does it sound like I'm making a reasonable assumption?

This is the only time I've had difficulty locating a part for my truck. Pain in the ass, and I don't like guesswork.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah, I also wish he hadn't hammered on them. Like I said, I'll give him a pass this time.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
He hammered on the hubs to get them off the drums because they were seized together. If it were a regular shop, I'd definitely make them pay for it. But this is a guy working for himself, and he's always done good work for me at a reasonable price. I'm just going to chalk it up to old truck complications - sometimes parts get seized together and you end up replacing an adjacent part too. In other words, I'll give him a pass this time based on my past experience with him.

I guess I'm going to buy the new hubs. I can always return them if that turns out not to be the problem. I am pretty sure - as sure as I can be based on what I can find - that my '74 has the same hubs as the later years, AC Delco RW20-124 (OEM # 03977397). The drums are the same, and even though no part search engine shows a hub for the '74, I can tell the Delco part is the right one from at least the late 70s until 2000. One of the compatible models lists also shows the Cheyenne, which I think they stopped making in '75 or thereabouts. Does it sound like I'm making a reasonable assumption?

This is the only time I've had difficulty locating a part for my truck. Pain in the ass, and I don't like guesswork.
Do you have the build tag/RPO deal in the glovebox still? It may say which rear end you have and may make the search a little more concise.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
This is a C-20 floater rear end and the drums are behind the hubs, right? 2 things, hard to warp the drums or hubs with the drum down on the surface whacking the studs to remove unless they got the studs out ,then had to beat on the drum to dislodge it, then you may have deformed it. Also why not have someone chuck it up on a brake lathe to actually see if the thing is out of round or wobbles or whatever?

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You are correct about the rear end. As far as I understand, he got the studs out and the hub was still stuck to the drum, so beat on the hub to get it off. I guess that could have deformed it a hair. We are having the same issue with two sets of drums now, which is why he believes it has to be the hubs.

Good call about the brake lathe - I'll mention it to him.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just went for a drive, and the problem appears to be worse. If I look in the side-view mirror I can see the wheel wobbling a little, and now I hear a scraping sound when I'm not braking - like the shoe is rubbing against the drum or something. Awesome.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I just went for a drive, and the problem appears to be worse. If I look in the side-view mirror I can see the wheel wobbling a little, and now I hear a scraping sound when I'm not braking - like the shoe is rubbing against the drum or something. Awesome.
Is there a reason the brake shoes weren’t replaced? I think I’d start with that just to eliminate it as a possibility.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Actually, this all started because I had squeaky brakes and thought I needed new shoes, but he looked at them and said they still have 90 percent of their thickness, but the drums were worn and needed to be replaced. And so it began.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey