Can someone school me on carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the cowl leaked down the firewall the carpet and pad got wet and held water. It will have some amount of rust. Hopefully it won't be bad. You can wire wheel the rust down put some rust converter down and then paint it with some rust inhibiting paint. Just make sure you fix where the water came from.

Whether you use rubber or carpet, pad or not if moisture gets under it it will still keep rusting over time.

I too like you are cheap. I thought about the same bulk cheap carpet but don't think I could ever get it to look good without taking forever and then still not look right.
I peeled my carpet back to look. I folded it back, ripped out the pad. The part under the door sill was so worn and coming apart it basically wasn't there any more. I did this to treat the rusty floor board and I welded in some patches this last year useing the same process. Folded it back with everything in place and did my welding and seam sealer and really hack job fix to make the floor more solid and waterproof from the bottom.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Mine had a vinyl floor! I haven't decide yet what to put back yet. I will let you know its a mess regardless removing carpet or vinyl. That is the first thing you should do, remove the seat and get what ever it is you have out of there first. Clean it up, put the seat back in so you can still use your truck and then decide. I'm leaning towards one of the many sound suppression mats and vinyl. We used to hose out the cab after a hunting trip, or a long excursion in 4 wheel drive.
At work I have removed or folded back portions of carpet that is not glued down in order to access / repair things like wiring under the carpet. So I have somewhat of an idea what I'm getting into. It's really hard for me to be without the truck (because of the farm) for very long and though the idea of going without carpet even for a short time is not appealing I do like the idea of pulling up the carpet, and then putting the seat back in.

I might start with cutting it in front of the seat when it hits the floor and peeling up just the front portion, as I suspect that will be where I'll find damage if any. A little less up initial work to see what's down there.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If the cowl leaked down the firewall the carpet and pad got wet and held water. It will have some amount of rust. Hopefully it won't be bad. You can wire wheel the rust down put some rust converter down and then paint it with some rust inhibiting paint. Just make sure you fix where the water came from.

Whether you use rubber or carpet, pad or not if moisture gets under it it will still keep rusting over time.

I too like you are cheap. I thought about the same bulk cheap carpet but don't think I could ever get it to look good without taking forever and then still not look right.
I peeled my carpet back to look. I folded it back, ripped out the pad. The part under the door sill was so worn and coming apart it basically wasn't there any more. I did this to treat the rusty floor board and I welded in some patches this last year useing the same process. Folded it back with everything in place and did my welding and seam sealer and really hack job fix to make the floor more solid and waterproof from the bottom.
I'd hardly call myself a body man, I have managed to wrangle the rust issues on my Cadillac and what you said, wire wheel, rust converter, rust inhibitor paint is exactly how I'd handle it. I've used muriatic acid to get rid of rust, when rust is bad enough, but as I'm sure you know that has to be rinsed off and / or neutralized, so not really what I'd prefer to use in the interior, but it's pretty effective.

As far as I can tell the cowl seam does not and hasn't leaked. When I got the truck the little windshield channel drains were plugged and the windshield was leaking pretty good. There was some rust in the channel where the windshield goes, but basic wire wheel, rust converter and sealing took care of that. The thing is I took care of it quickly, but have no idea how long it went on before I got it. Given that the carpet is actually coming apart, that makes me wonder, which is my motivation to see what is going on and hopefully fix it before there is a major problem. I know there is no visible rust on the floor pans from under the truck, so that's promising at least.

I might try to do that instead of cutting it off in front of the seat, I might try to fold it back, but I suspect it'll start to come apart even more. It's worth trying to see what happens.

Cheap, yup that's me, but as I've aged I've come to understand spending a little more for a better part or product that will last is better than paying twice. Well being cheap is how I ended up roping myself into a couple month long project rebuilding the roof under the vinyl top of my 77 Cadillac a few years ago. I did have new vinyl professionally installed when it was all done, but I did everything else myself. The work I did is not pretty under the top, it's fine under the top, but would look bad without it. It's strong and the rust was either cut out (mostly but out) or converted or neutralized to the best of my abilities. The top part of windshield channel was completely gone, and back almost a foot was full of pin holes, looked like someone in the past had bondo'd all the pin holes shut, but did not bother trying to prevent the rust from continuing. The RR pillar was practically made out of fiberglass, someone threw in there so the vinyl had something to be on. It was quite the project, but it came down to me doing the work or junking the car. I learned a lot doing that project for sure.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Holy crap, it looks like you have the same truck as my parts truck! That green and white I think is VERY sweet!!!

I apologize for going off topic here!

You must be registered for see images attach

that sill plate is rare on a early 70s is it not? They are in good shape too, The RPO for them doesnt bring up much searches and aftermarket searches for them doesnt usuallyt indicate like factory option or replacement but rather upgrade. I have some to, do they say fisher

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

wise

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd hardly call myself a body man, I have managed to wrangle the rust issues on my Cadillac and what you said, wire wheel, rust converter, rust inhibitor paint is exactly how I'd handle it. I've used muriatic acid to get rid of rust, when rust is bad enough, but as I'm sure you know that has to be rinsed off and / or neutralized, so not really what I'd prefer to use in the interior, but it's pretty effective.

As far as I can tell the cowl seam does not and hasn't leaked. When I got the truck the little windshield channel drains were plugged and the windshield was leaking pretty good. There was some rust in the channel where the windshield goes, but basic wire wheel, rust converter and sealing took care of that. The thing is I took care of it quickly, but have no idea how long it went on before I got it. Given that the carpet is actually coming apart, that makes me wonder, which is my motivation to see what is going on and hopefully fix it before there is a major problem. I know there is no visible rust on the floor pans from under the truck, so that's promising at least.

I might try to do that instead of cutting it off in front of the seat, I might try to fold it back, but I suspect it'll start to come apart even more. It's worth trying to see what happens.

Cheap, yup that's me, but as I've aged I've come to understand spending a little more for a better part or product that will last is better than paying twice. Well being cheap is how I ended up roping myself into a couple month long project rebuilding the roof under the vinyl top of my 77 Cadillac a few years ago. I did have new vinyl professionally installed when it was all done, but I did everything else myself. The work I did is not pretty under the top, it's fine under the top, but would look bad without it. It's strong and the rust was either cut out (mostly but out) or converted or neutralized to the best of my abilities. The top part of windshield channel was completely gone, and back almost a foot was full of pin holes, looked like someone in the past had bondo'd all the pin holes shut, but did not bother trying to prevent the rust from continuing. The RR pillar was practically made out of fiberglass, someone threw in there so the vinyl had something to be on. It was quite the project, but it came down to me doing the work or junking the car. I learned a lot doing that project for sure.
Yep I am cheap but am at the point where I'd rather pay more for quality than doing it 2x and or it looking crappy and still failing early. I think what I failed to get to but was also a point. And I don't remember if I wrote it. But if and or when I replace what's left of my carpet I will just suck it up and buy molded from some company folks here recommend and have had good luck with.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's really hard for me to be without the truck (because of the farm) for very long and though the idea of going without carpet even for a short time is not appealing I do like the idea of pulling up the carpet, and then putting the seat back in.
Then set yourself up for success. You know nothing is rusted through. You know you need new carpet and the padding under it. This is a one day project, easy.
Yard out the seat and sill plates. In an hour or 2 you have a bare floor and open cab. Few min with a wire wheel, slap some por 15, spray paint, whatever on it and dry it up quick with a little heat in the cab (a milk house heater for 30 min in the cab will set up any paint enough to lay padding on it).
Slap the new pre-cut padding/sound deadener and carpet in it, re-install the seat, done by dinner time. (Make sure you have the carpet unfolded and warmed up ahead of time)

If you're really budget minded, I have the blue carpet that came out of my truck. It's still serviceable with a good cleaning and you could dye it for cheap. It's yours if you want it. No rips, worn through spots or threadbare areas. I'm pretty certain its not the original carpet, but a newer replacement.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If you're really budget minded, I have the blue carpet that came out of my truck. It's still serviceable with a good cleaning and you could dye it for cheap. It's yours if you want it. No rips, worn through spots or threadbare areas. I'm pretty certain its not the original carpet, but a newer replacement.
I may take you up on that, but not keen on going though the process to die it brown. I will let you know thanks for that offer. Yes I agree it could be a one day job, but it's hard because of the farm for me to find more than a few hours at a time to devote to the square. So we'll see when I start the project I'll plan as much time as I can and take it as it comes.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If youre actually interested, I can unfold it and take a pic next week to see if it's nice enough for you to use. I'm in Bellevue at least 3 days a week, so not far from you.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If youre actually interested, I can unfold it and take a pic next week to see if it's nice enough for you to use. I'm in Bellevue at least 3 days a week, so not far from you.
Let me think on it a little. I'm not really keen on going though the process of dyeing it brown, but I like the price for sure. Meeting you in Bellevue would not be a problem.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Let me think on it a little. I'm not really keen on going though the process of dyeing it brown, but I like the price for sure. Meeting you in Bellevue would not be a problem.
That’s why I didn’t use it. It would have needed dyed to look nice even in orig color.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
At work I have removed or folded back portions of carpet that is not glued down in order to access / repair things like wiring under the carpet. So I have somewhat of an idea what I'm getting into. It's really hard for me to be without the truck (because of the farm) for very long and though the idea of going without carpet even for a short time is not appealing I do like the idea of pulling up the carpet, and then putting the seat back in.

I might start with cutting it in front of the seat when it hits the floor and peeling up just the front portion, as I suspect that will be where I'll find damage if any. A little less up initial work to see what's down there.
SirRobynO, I was trying to be helpful in my post but didn't elaborate. I realize you need that truck everyday, I understood and understand undertaking this project is problematic if it doesn't go as planned. There are only 4 bolts on that seat, and it is helpful to have another person, but it can be done by yourself. I done it at least 4 times for 2 different trucks both 4 speed, 4wd. You don't have that problem! Unbolt the seat, front bolts first, position the seat all the way forward, rear bolts. Push the seat belts through. Remove it from the passenger side. You'll have to finagle it but no shifters or steering wheel in the way. Clean it up and see what you have! Put the seat back in, throw and rug on the floor and your existing floor mats down. work on it when you have time and then spend the money for how you want to fix it. You can still use the truck in the mean time those floors are pretty
tough.

Last Picture after blasting! You would already know if it went this far and what you see is nothing compared to our eastern friends like @AuroraGirl.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@hoagster Your previous post and this one have been very helpful. Before your previous post I was looking at it as an have to get it all done at once project, I had not thought of pulling the carpet and putting the seat back in, or cutting the carpet as a short term way to get under there and still be able to drive it.

I think at this point I'm going to go with cutting the carpet. This stuff isn't getting reused, so if I cut it'll be able to see under the foot area in like 30 minutes and I can get right into rust removing and paint. If that bit of carpet survives being pulled out, we'll I can slap it back down when I need to drive it.

I'm not really sure when I'll order carpet. I pulled the wiper linkage out today and have begun rehabbing it, but ran out of time, so I'll have to finish that up tomorrow. I may pull the front part of the carpet next weekend, if that were to be the case I'd be starting the job before ordering the carpet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad