Can someone school me on carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well I just submitted a sample request to stock interiors. Brown in standard, brown in the upgraded carpet and black in the vinyl. Honestly I think any dark brown would work fine in the truck. The interior is the same cream color as the outside of the truck with brown dash vinyl, and black around the gauges and trim as you'd expect. I'm not putting cream carpet in a work truck! So that leaves me with brown or black. So this should give me an idea of their product options too. Thanks for the advice so far.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok one more thing I just thought off. So there is a small area of carpet that is loose in the square right now so I just went and looked. Between the carpet and the floor pan of the truck is a pad, it's idk not more than a 1/4" and it is a tan color like foam padding is and frankly it looks like foam padding. Clearly the foam was glued to the floor as I can see the residue. I think from looking at other worn spots that it was either glued or attached to the carpet as well. Is that stuff I'm seeing as foam padding what places like stock interiors is calling jute padding? I can take pictures in the morning if that would be easier for you to tell. Thanks again.

Edit: just looked at pictures of jute padding, really doesn't look the same.

Last edited:

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@WebMonkey Where did you get the vinyl from? Do you have any kind of pad, or sound deadening under it? Is there much texture to the vinyl? I ask that because I remember my old Toyota the vinyl was easy to clean as far as wiping up mud or sweeping out dirt, but that truck the vinyl had quite a bit of grain to it, and making it look like the grain wasn't dirty did take a bit of scrubbing.
i bought mine from rockauto but i'm pretty sure 'everyone' sells the same thing.
the grain of the vinyl IS THERE but in my opinion is pretty shallow.
i haven't had an issue with caking or retention of 'crap' causing the floor to look gray instead of black.

You must be registered for see images attach

the vinyl flooring in a box came with this pad.

i'm pleased with this product.
it's only on the floor but really helps. i will eventually get the doors and back cab wall i think.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@WebMonkey I hadn't thought to check Rockauto. I think there are only a couple carpet manufactures, but it does seem like prices can vary a little. Thanks for the install pics to!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OCAutocarpets has pre formed sound deadener and pads for pretty reasonable prices.
Haven’t ordered any yet since I’m a ways out to installing the new carpet.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I used that ebay sound deadener and a molded carpet from there as well nothing between

Holy crap, it looks like you have the same truck as my parts truck! That green and white I think is VERY sweet!!!

I apologize for going off topic here!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I've done my K-10 three times due to changing from a 4 speed to a 5 speed, a leaky clutch master cylinder, and the last one when I went to an auto trans. Also did moms K-5 one time, I ordered from ACC directly both times. I was pleased with their product every time and thats who I plan to go with again.

You mentioned the value of your time, if you care what it looks like just spring for the molded carpet and get it done in an afternoon and be done with it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Holy crap, it looks like you have the same truck as my parts truck! That green and white I think is VERY sweet!!!

I apologize for going off topic here!
You never have to apologize for going off topic in a thread I started (or at least not to me) as I'm terrible about going off topic. To some degree I enjoy seeing where the conversation goes.

@CalSgt Thanks for the info, I do care what it looks like, as well as my time, and I think you for the info.

DEI SQUAREBODY

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Have you seen these new under carpet kits from Design Engineering for Heat and Sound control for these trucks Because
they very loud inside.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Have you seen these new under carpet kits from Design Engineering for Heat and Sound control for these trucks Because
they very loud inside.

Cool looking stuff and I bet it would be nice to have, but that would be out of the budget for this project. If I do any kind of underlay outside of the standard jute pad, I'd use something universal and lower cost.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've got a pretty good project list going on this weekend and my wiper linkage has been squeaking pretty bad so rehabing that this weekend will take priority over the floor. If I get the time I'm going to see if the carpet will lift up under the foot area to try to get some idea what I'm getting into on the floor. In other words is there nothing that bad? and little surface rust? worse? I just don't know. Once I get a grasp on that I'll start making a decision on how and when I'll handle the carpet.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i'm really happy with the molded vinyl so far.
came with a pad for the front 'foot wells'.

tough vinyl type material rather than 'stretchy' rubbery type material.

i have carpet floor mats (from a generic compact car) for bare feet so best of both worlds for my work/farm k20 super double xtra duty.

;)
My truck originally had a vinyl floor and I put carpeting in it. And it does have a good sound deadening effect but I wish I had just put the rubber floor back in it. I would rather sweep the floor out with a whisk broom than drag the vacuum cleaner out

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Mine had a vinyl floor! I haven't decide yet what to put back yet. I will let you know its a mess regardless removing carpet or vinyl. That is the first thing you should do, remove the seat and get what ever it is you have out of there first. Clean it up, put the seat back in so you can still use your truck and then decide. I'm leaning towards one of the many sound suppression mats and vinyl. We used to hose out the cab after a hunting trip, or a long excursion in 4 wheel drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20