Can I put the spring pack under the axle in this application?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Wait, are you saying have the pumpkin twist upside down, then turn it around? To put it under the springs?

Also, do you think maybe just drop shackles and maybe taking a single or 2 leaves out would suffice for drop, anything else accomplishable by smaller tire?

No. Put the axle on top of the springs, upside down. Will drop you 6 or 7 inches. The reason upside down, you do not have to weld on new spring pads. If you change the shackles, you will only get 1/2 of the added length.

What I posted, is how you can accomplish what your question was in the very first post. "Can I just put the spring under the axle?"

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doing an axle flip will lower it 8-9” min. The height of the axle, perch and springs.
Removing the old shackle bolts/ bushings will likely result in drilling, cutting, hammering destroying them so new bushings and bolts.
And then it will be far too low.
Lowering shackles will get you a couple Inches and 3/4 of the cutting and swearing of the first method.
This is not a worthwhile project for your use.
On the upside if you slam it you can just flip the diff 180deg and use the spring perched upside down. Maybe get to reuse the u bolts maybe more cutting and swearing.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I mean, I see what you are saying. But would 6 or 7 inches be too far of a drop for my tires?

So, from what i gather, using a drop shackle would be the simplest, but not most effective, way to do what im looking to do? If i get 3-4 inches from the shackles, And they are like 40 dollars, Im okay with that. I wouldnt want to be spending more than say 100 but you get what i mean.

If i want more from 3-4 inches, I can lower tire diameter

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You can even leave the diff pointed backwards. Doesn’t matter.
But no shocks.

Measure it. You can see what your clearance will be with whatever method you’re contemplating.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You can even leave the diff pointed backwards. Doesn’t matter.
But no shocks.

Measure it. You can see what your clearance will be with whatever method you’re contemplating.
Okay, well, if I go drop shackle does any 3 or 4 inch drop shackle(if that is what it would be called) work or is it dependent on spring/tonnage? its a 3/4ton frame

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3-4” drop shackle is 6-8” longer than what’s in there now.
does that even fit?
And 1cy of gravel is almost 3000lbs, loose.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im not sure, i dont know anything about springs, its what im looking for info on :( I dont even know what to call what it currently has

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look at the stock shackles on your springs. Imagine them x amount longer. Whatever you increase the shackle length will lower the truck by half that much.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Look at the stock shackles on your springs. Imagine them x amount longer. Whatever you increase the shackle length will lower the truck by half that much.
ahhh thanks ill have to get under there with a tape measure.

But im buying a new one.
two of mine, the only 2 i can ever find, were 1/8 and 1/4 off compared to a verified ruler... which i also verified with a caliper.

It wasnt even the rivets on the ending! They were just progressively spaced so much off eachother that over a foot it became 1/4, but 2 feet it was just under 1/2 and on and on.

The other was just off because of them rivets but i wasnt about to trust it when it cant ever keep a bend

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ ??
What on earth are you talking about? Never seen that. Do they sell tape measures at the gag gift store?
And if it’s within 1/8” of not working, they don’t make shackles in 1/8” increments unless you’re going to fab those yourself too.
You do realize the hook on the end of a tape measure is supposed to be loose, correct? Bout 1/16” so it reads correctly/ the same if you hook an object or butt it for measuring.

Anyway...went out and looked at the truck.
Pretty sure they’re all the same.
You can get maybe an 1-1/2” drop without the shackle/spring eye hitting a floor beam under compressed suspension.
Maybe 3” if you’re ok with the spring compressing into the bed floor beam.
Bottom line, and we know that you don’t believe what you don’t want to hear, but regardless of what you do, this idea is of virtually no benefit but will certainly result in a bunch of effort for the same or worse performance than leaving it alone.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
^ ??
What on earth are you talking about? Never seen that. Do they sell tape measures at the gag gift store?
And if it’s within 1/8” of not working, they don’t make shackles in 1/8” increments unless you’re going to fab those yourself too.
You do realize the hook on the end of a tape measure is supposed to be loose, correct? Bout 1/16” so it reads correctly/ the same if you hook an object or butt it for measuring.

Anyway...went out and looked at the truck.
Pretty sure they’re all the same.
You can get maybe an 1-1/2” drop without the shackle/spring eye hitting a floor beam under compressed suspension.
Maybe 3” if you’re ok with the spring compressing into the bed floor beam.
Bottom line, and we know that you don’t believe what you don’t want to hear, but regardless of what you do, this idea is of virtually no benefit but will certainly result in a bunch of effort for the same or worse performance than leaving it alone.
you misunderstood anything ive said. i have not disregarded or doubted anything you have said to me. i have no knowledge in this area and asked for advice and you all came in and offered advice. I was making a friendly comment about tape measures because im POed by my tape measures being junk. I discovered it when trying to cut some wood for another project. the end was loose, yes, but the rivets holding to the tape had a lot of play and i could tell it was caused by that on the one

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Grit Dog is right on about the shackles. Sorry, but I didn't have the bed floor in mind when I was talking about the shackle length.... Empire makes good tape measures nowadays. Made in USA, they say, not expensive, blades, springs and belt clips last/wear quite well. Hooks don't "grab" as well as I would like, but can't remember any that have. lol. Nor, can I come up with a better idea than they have so I'll get off ass about that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Grit Dog is right on about the shackles. Sorry, but I didn't have the bed floor in mind when I was talking about the shackle length.... Empire makes good tape measures nowadays. Made in USA, they say, not expensive, blades, springs and belt clips last/wear quite well. Hooks don't "grab" as well as I would like, but can't remember any that have. lol. Nor, can I come up with a better idea than they have so I'll get off ass about that.
my father always used stanley till he noticed a remarkable decline in the last 10-15 years in his opinion

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
my father always used stanley till he noticed a remarkable decline in the last 10-15 years in his opinion

Yea, You youngins, It is a sad thing. Used to be you went and paid good money for something, you got a good something! Ain't how things tend to work nowdays, so adapt and improvise, and MAKE the feller that took your good money provide a good product. Stanley, Lufkin, Starrett, it's all the same China made ****! Why I said Empire makes a pretty damn good tape measure, it is. Use one of the 4 or so I have every day and they work and last. My newest 33 footer, is giving out and that is troublesome because I ain't been able to find another. Realize that You as a young lady that has her head on her shoulders, and don't mind getting dirty, and being wrong, and learning and improving is this countries next Stanley, Lufkin, and Starrett!! While your at it, go get you a good Empire tape measure, so you will know how long summptin is!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne