Can I put the spring pack under the axle in this application?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you aren't loading it down too much, you also can afford to pull most of the leaves from the pack.
so how many leaves do you think i could pull if i want to retain, say, 2000lb capacity. I only ever get 200-300 pounds of trash in it for my regular use, but if i were to take the cap off and get a load of gravel or something(idk how much it ways) (also, its called a yard?? a yard of gravel?) I would want it to safely handle it but not like it would do it regularily

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
All these shackles need to be is 4 pieces of 1 1/2 by 1/4 flat bar, bent a little with holes in either end. Get whats on there off, put a jack under it and get it where ya want it, figure out the new distance of center holes and fab away!
Also, just figuring, its 2 1/2 inches center line of axle to the spring perch, then the springs, then another 2 1/2 inches maybe 4? just figuring here. So flipping the axles will lower it 5 inches, plus the height of the spring pack minimum.
so 5 inches is probably too much like everyone says. the shackles only thing should net me a couple inches or so?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
so how many leaves do you think i could pull if i want to retain, say, 2000lb capacity. I only ever get 200-300 pounds of trash in it for my regular use, but if i were to take the cap off and get a load of gravel or something(idk how much it ways) (also, its called a yard?? a yard of gravel?) I would want it to safely handle it but not like it would do it regularily

so 5 inches is probably too much like everyone says. the shackles only thing should net me a couple inches or so?

Yes, then no. 5 inches plus the spring pack is the minimum. Shackles can be made to let the axle and frame touch. After that it only gets lower by what it mashes the tires. What are you trying to accomplish with this? Most folks I've ever run into don't give 2 ***** how tall a pick up bed trailer is?? Like you, a trailer is the only thing I've ever dreamt of lowering?? Another thing to think about is how does it hook to the tow vehicle? If you lower the axle is the load going to shake back to the back? That makes for some fun driving! As far as putting a yard of gravel on it, that is somewhere close to a ton, 2000 pounds. A good load but surley managable. Half ton springs shouldn't touch the axle with that, unless they are already sprung.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

It's probably trial and error. I'd probably pull all of them except the main leaf and the one directly below that. And maybe reinstall the overload spring too.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
As far as the weight of a yard, of gravel, dirt, kaliche, etc... figure a ton, give or take, depends on moisture mostly. A yard of dry concrete mix is somewhat heavier (cant remember what, around 2400 pounds?) mixed, wet concrete heavier still, depending on the sump, water added. A yard of feathers prob dont weigh 2 pounds, depending on how they are packed/contained. Hope that helps.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If you aren't loading it down too much, you also can afford to pull most of the leaves from the pack.

^^ If you do this the trailer will be bouncy. Also old springs without the support will most likely fail.

id rather work with what i already have

You could do it without buying anything if the "U" bolts will un-thread, but they won't.

Here is how:

Unbolt tires, hubs brakes and backing plates.
Unbolt the shocks.
Cut the "U" bolts (or try unbolting)
Slide the axle out and reverse it side for side.
Turn the axle upside down and on an angle slip one end on top of the spring.
Move the axle far enough through to slip the other side on top of the spring.

There, you have axle pads for new "U" bolts.

The reason to swap sides will line shock mounts.

First you will also need to measure that the axle pumpkin has enough clearance so it will not hit the bed floor.

Use extensions on the shock brackets or shorter shocks.
You could also do this without taking the hubs and brakes off by removing at least the front spring eye bolts. They probably will not remove well. Plus when you reassemble you don't need to put all the brake hardware back on.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl , just a question. Why would one even need shocks on a trailer? Also agree with you on the U bolts, If she is able to get them off they will gaul up and never get tight again, either way ya cut them off and go get new ones! lol

Edit to add, cut them off just when they get straight, you end up with 8 real good punches!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl , just a question. Why would one even need shocks on a trailer? Also agree with you on the U bolts, If she is able to get them off they will gaul up and never get tight again, either way ya cut them off and go get new ones! lol

Edit to add, cut them off just when they get straight, you end up with 8 real good punches!

I have built 3 square trailers. They perform better with shocks. Center of gravity is higher than your typical trailer.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I have built 3 square trailers. They perform better with shocks. Center of gravity is higher than your typical trailer.

Makes sense! I have never even pulled a pickup bed trailer?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It's probably trial and error. I'd probably pull all of them except the main leaf and the one directly below that. And maybe reinstall the overload spring too.
maybe 3 main leaves and the overload? the overload being the one that doesnt let them bend too far, correct?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, I would like to lower the center of gravity. It handles really well as is, but lowering is more for efficiency and convenience of how i use it rather than safety

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, then no. 5 inches plus the spring pack is the minimum. Shackles can be made to let the axle and frame touch. After that it only gets lower by what it mashes the tires. What are you trying to accomplish with this? Most folks I've ever run into don't give 2 ***** how tall a pick up bed trailer is?? Like you, a trailer is the only thing I've ever dreamt of lowering?? Another thing to think about is how does it hook to the tow vehicle? If you lower the axle is the load going to shake back to the back? That makes for some fun driving! As far as putting a yard of gravel on it, that is somewhere close to a ton, 2000 pounds. A good load but surley managable. Half ton springs shouldn't touch the axle with that, unless they are already sprung.
I would drop my ball accordingly to keep weight properly distributed. Right now its the perfect height for a 2 inch ball that doesnt have any drop(straight off receiver) of my 1/2 ton truck, but if i lower it i would just have a hitch that has the needed drop for properly loading the tongue. which i need a new tongue coupler, mine is... err... idont know what or how but its twisted.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I do have these if I could creatively use the pads.. they seem okay. i would obviously get new ubolts but I do have a redundant set
I also have a single half ton spring i could find a companion to, 52 inch, but that is light side.

You must be registered for see images attach

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I would drop my ball accordingly to keep weight properly distributed. Right now its the perfect height for a 2 inch ball that doesnt have any drop(straight off receiver) of my 1/2 ton truck, but if i lower it i would just have a hitch that has the needed drop for properly loading the tongue. which i need a new tongue coupler, mine is... err... idont know what or how but its twisted.

yea well, sometimes i feel like your receiver hitch. Just be sure to keep the trailer weight on the truck! It gets awful exciting when it ain't, and would make Evil Kenivel slow down.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
^^ If you do this the trailer will be bouncy. Also old springs without the support will most likely fail.

You could do it without buying anything if the "U" bolts will un-thread, but they won't.

Here is how:

Unbolt tires, hubs brakes and backing plates.
Unbolt the shocks.
Cut the "U" bolts (or try unbolting)
Slide the axle out and reverse it side for side.
Turn the axle upside down and on an angle slip one end on top of the spring.
Move the axle far enough through to slip the other side on top of the spring.

There, you have axle pads for new "U" bolts.

The reason to swap sides will line shock mounts.

First you will also need to measure that the axle pumpkin has enough clearance so it will not hit the bed floor.

Use extensions on the shock brackets or shorter shocks.
You could also do this without taking the hubs and brakes off by removing at least the front spring eye bolts. They probably will not remove well. Plus when you reassemble you don't need to put all the brake hardware back on.
Wait, are you saying have the pumpkin twist upside down, then turn it around? To put it under the springs?

Also, do you think maybe just drop shackles and maybe taking a single or 2 leaves out would suffice for drop, anything else accomplishable by smaller tire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88