Can I put the spring pack under the axle in this application?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I want to lower the trailer because its unecessarily high(i imagine drag will reduce and it will possibly be more stable theoretically)
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Can I just put the spring under the axle? Will I have clearance with wheel wells? I would keep the springs on it. Because its not a pickup anymore, I dont imagine the loads i put into it will ever squish it down enough, but i could always get a lower tire.

What is all involved? Removing the spring, putting under axle, reatacch with the u bolts switched around? Upside down rather
New shocks(they are shot anyway... what kind would I need?)
Anything else?

I have never entertained the thought of lowering anything in my life so help is appreciated

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Flip the axle and mount on top of the springs? Get a 3500 pound axle and mount on top of the springs? You should have some 6 hole wheels around to fit the dexter hub.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's real common for people to buy a cheap set of flip brackets to lower the rear of a truck. They can be found for as low as 35 bucks. Then you don't even have to weld new perches on.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh okay so im now at the point where i need to be guided like a child. so what I said couldnt be done without changing anything? Ill look at some videos and stuff, I must know

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
How much lower?
Lowering shackles will get you a couple inches. A shorter tire will get you a few more. Axle flip will put you on the ground. ;)

Maybe a cap that isn't so bulbous.:33:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
How much lower?
Lowering shackles will get you a couple inches. A shorter tire will get you a few more. Axle flip will put you on the ground. ;)

Maybe a cap that isn't so bulbous.:33:
i actually want it that large for purpose of throwing **** in there. more room=more stuff. I am thinking of lowering the bed height and if i can stick to this tire simply because its free and already there, i would like to. eventually narrower bias plys but till then old radials. If I flip the springs as is, would that suffice? That looks like 3 or 4 maybe inches? Or maybe my spatial math is way off?

is there a way to know what shackle will work? Im open to lowering shackle if I can combined lower like 3-4 inches, which i COULD do the rest with a tire. Im just looking to have it still a practicle trailer but at a lower height, because its unecessarily high compared to my 1/2 trailer

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
i actually want it that large for purpose of throwing **** in there. more room=more stuff. I am thinking of lowering the bed height and if i can stick to this tire simply because its free and already there, i would like to. eventually narrower bias plys but till then old radials. If I flip the springs as is, would that suffice? That looks like 3 or 4 maybe inches? Or maybe my spatial math is way off?

is there a way to know what shackle will work? Im open to lowering shackle if I can combined lower like 3-4 inches, which i COULD do the rest with a tire. Im just looking to have it still a practicle trailer but at a lower height, because its unecessarily high compared to my 1/2 trailer
I think the lowering shackles would be the cheapest and easiest option. Get you a couple inches. A lot of inches if you want to poke into the bed above it and go with bigger ones. Which is not what I'd recommend for a truck but a utility trailer that's already pretty rough. Meh

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
would it matter that it was a 79 c20? but good memory if you were going off what the trailer was made out of
I didn't remember but same principle with the shackles. @gotyourgoat is absolutely right about slamming it with the axle on top of the springs. You're a minimum of 5" doing the flip and maybe more.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think the lowering shackles would be the cheapest and easiest option. Get you a couple inches. A lot of inches if you want to poke into the bed above it and go with bigger ones. Which is not what I'd recommend for a truck but a utility trailer that's already pretty rough. Meh
i could try lowering shackles first, see how much it puts it down, then see what a smaller tire could get me. im sure onnce im done with shackle i can eyeball or tape measure a decent rest of the way. seems to be less work? What is the length i can drop it by that before hitting the bed?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
i could try lowering shackles first, see how much it puts it down, then see what a smaller tire could get me. im sure onnce im done with shackle i can eyeball or tape measure a decent rest of the way. seems to be less work? What is the length i can drop it by that before hitting the bed?

All these shackles need to be is 4 pieces of 1 1/2 by 1/4 flat bar, bent a little with holes in either end. Get whats on there off, put a jack under it and get it where ya want it, figure out the new distance of center holes and fab away!
Also, just figuring, its 2 1/2 inches center line of axle to the spring perch, then the springs, then another 2 1/2 inches maybe 4? just figuring here. So flipping the axles will lower it 5 inches, plus the height of the spring pack minimum.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you aren't loading it down too much, you also can afford to pull most of the leaves from the pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08