can I increase return line on mechanical fuel pump??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20custom deluxe 16.5 rims
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
Im in the middle of a restore on my truck and will be running new fuel lines. currently Im running mechanical fuel pump , retun line size 1/4" with a holley 600
Im tossing around the idea of running holley avenger 2barrel tbi unit with the electric fuel pump that requires 3/8 return so as to have zero pressure ideally. My question is will the old stock mechancal fuel pump opperate properly with a bigger retun line?? I would like to have the option to swap between mechanical and electric fuel pump or tbi and carb.:guile-1: thanks in advance

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You may get different opinions on this, but in my experience;

A GM stock, cam driven/diaphram type, mechanical fuel pump does not require a return line.

I routinely run the 2 port version pump - or a 3 port with the return capped - and never have a problem. The existing return line back to the tank(s) gets dead-ended.

You could dedicate the return line to your electric pump and tee the suction and discharge lines to service both pumps.

I guess you will install isolation valves to segregate the two pumps when switching over from mechanical to electric and vice-versa?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
You may get different opinions on this, but in my experience;

A GM stock, cam driven/diaphram type, mechanical fuel pump does not require a return line.

I routinely run the 2 port version pump - or a 3 port with the return capped - and never have a problem. The existing return line back to the tank(s) gets dead-ended.

You could dedicate the return line to your electric pump and tee the suction and discharge lines to service both pumps.

I guess you will install isolation valves to segregate the two pumps when switching over from mechanical to electric and vice-versa?

Correct.

The earlier pums had 2 ports, suction and discharge to the carb. They did NOT have a return line, later years they added a return line for emmissions compatability, the pump pressures didnt change. Bigger fuel return line will not hurt what you are doing, how ever if you run a smaller 1/4" line on your tbi you will most likely have problems with high pressure and then cause the regulators to fail.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
They did NOT have a return line, later years they added a return line for emmissions compatability, the pump pressures didnt change

Perfect - couldn't have said it better!

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
Perfect! as far as isolating the pumps I was just going to unplug the inline pump and filters and run a section of braided line in their place, but a bypass valve sounds like a good way to go too! lol .......Thanks again!

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Are you going to just run a mechanical pump all the time? Won't this ruin the seals in it by running it dry and it is just extra friction loss for no reason. I'm not understanding the reasoning for this just to switch to a carb. People run electric pumps and carbs all the time. Maybe I'm missing something.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Jason is correct. If you run the mechanical pump dry it will cause a diaphram failure. The gas acts as a collant as it passes through the pump.

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
I wont be running the mechanical pump if i go to tbi it will be removed and plated off. the question was just regarding the 1/4" stock return line size and if it alters the action of the mechanical pump if increased.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Why not just run the TBI pump, and mount an external regulator that you can just tweek real quick after choosing carb or TBI? You can Cap the regulator and the return on the TBI, Then only use one feed line for both... you still need the ruturn line for the regulator.

Skysurfer is running a setup like this on his TBI, and it is working very good.

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
well Ive thought about going with the bypass reg, but if I dont shift over from carb to tbi I would prefer to stick with the mechanical pump less finicky more durable less filters to run and change, easier to change pre carb filter and one less electrical part that may choose not to work one day when Im in the bush ...but cheers!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
BTW...stay away from the Holly and Edelbrock TBI units, they are not very friendly to field servicing. A unit from an 87-93 454 would be the way to go for a large barrel TBI.
Just an FYI IF you do choose TBI.

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
when you say field servicing are you refering to changing out parts like injectors and aic? I sure like to hand held programer that holley has with thier system eliminating the need for laptop tuning .

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
when you say field servicing are you refering to changing out parts like injectors and aic? I sure like to hand held programer that holley has with thier system eliminating the need for laptop tuning .

If thats the route you want to go, I highly recommend the FAST 4 barrel TBI.
You can get a Holly computer and harness, and purchase an oem 454 unit...all you need to do is wire it up.
the holly and edelbrock TBI units are the same ones they sell as direct OEM replacements, but they leak, and if you need to replace an injector, you cant walk into NAPA or a GM dealership and get replacements, much less seals or "o" rings.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I have considered something along those lines, but don't like the injector location.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000