86 C10 454 . Help with fuel return line. Pic's inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Ok, so on the 454 swap C10, I needed to put a electric fuel pump because the 99 Vortec does not have a mechanical fuel pump.
I had a Holley blue pump (14PSI) and used it. I also used a none bypass regulator. (bad idea) So now I am revamping it correctly.
I am still using the Holley blue pump but bought a BP regulator.(holley). I put a 100 micron filter behind the pump and a 40 micron
filter in front of it. (rear by tank) So up front when the 305 was in it, there is a 3/8 feed for the fuel and a 5 1/6 for the return fuel line.
I used the 3/8 to feed through the regulator and used the 5 1/6 return line as the bypass line.

Here is the problem. I think the 5 1/6 line is to small. When the pump is on, my fuel gauge maxes out and fuel comes out the carb over flowing. I thought I had a bad regulator, so I removed the Bypass hose(return line) and turned the pump on. Then it was at 6 PSI. So
I need a larger return line? Here is a good question, the fuel valve that switches the tanks, Could that be the issue? That 5 1/6 line goes right into it. There is a line that looks like a 3/8 line that runs to the charcoal canister. Can I use that as a return line?

here is the top side

You must be registered for see images attach

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
here is the tank switch, the T were my finger is, is the vent tubes for the charcoal canister up front
then you can see the left and right side lines for each tank.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
here is the pump set up! and tiny 5 1/6th return line that goes into that switch.

pretty tiny return line here

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Could it be the fuel is not pushing through the tanks switch valve?

I dont mind using only one side of a tank is I have to . I need this BP to work correctly.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm using a similar setup with EFI. 5/16 return with a 3/8 feed is not a problem. On EFI, according to Aeromotive, the correct way is to have the regulator AFTER the carb/ fuel rail on the return line. Don't know if this helps in your case.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Could it be the fuel is not pushing through the tanks switch valve?

I dont mind using only one side of a tank is I have to . I need this BP to work correctly.
This sounds likely.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I agree, 5/16" is completely sufficient for a return line. I would suggest trying to blow through the return line and see if it is able to free flow back to the tank. My vent lines are 1/4", I don't think I have ever seen 3/8" vent. I wonder if you have the vent line and return lines swapped? The vent line should be smaller than the return.

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm using a similar setup with EFI. 5/16 return with a 3/8 feed is not a problem. On EFI, according to Aeromotive, the correct way is to have the regulator AFTER the carb/ fuel rail on the return line. Don't know if this helps in your case.

I believe that only applies to EFI. This was included in my Aeromotive kit instructions. I have this kit:
https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/carbureted-phantom-200-kit/
Here's a diagram included in instructions.
Notice supply and return line is same size and regulator BEFORE the carb.

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I run an OE TBI pump with a return style regulator and I've never had a backpressure issue with the original 5/16 return line. I'd pull the return hose off of the dual tank valve and dump it into a gas can then see what kind of pressure you have. I'd bet you're plugged up somewhere in the old parts.

My set up runs rock solid 6 psi all day:

OE in tank TBI pump > 3/8 feed > OE fuel filter > QJET > Holley bypass regulator > 5/16 return.

I also have 1 pressure gauge at the carb and 1 in the dash, having a gauge while driving is great for diagnosis.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I wonder if you have the vent line and return lines swapped? The vent line should be smaller than the return.
Everything is plummed correctly. I have the 3/8 for fuel
and have the return and vent line. The vent line that runs
to the charcoal canister is larger than the return line. Thats why I was wondering if I could use the vent line as a return line since it was bigger. Im going to run air through the return line and see what happens. I will disconnect right before the fuel tank switch valve.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
This sounds likely.
Yea, when everything is hooked up(correctly) And I turn on the pump, I can see my fuel hose expand like the return line is not flowing. Thats why I was thinking the tank switch valve was not letting it pass through the valve. Might not be able to use high pressure for a return through the valve switch. Well not high pressure. but 8lbs. Pump is 14 PSI and regulator is set at 6 PSI

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yea, when everything is hooked up(correctly) And I turn on the pump, I can see my fuel hose expand like the return line is not flowing. Thats why I was thinking the tank switch valve was not letting it pass through the valve. Might not be able to use high pressure for a return through the valve switch. Well not high pressure. but 8lbs. Pump is 14 PSI and regulator is set at 6 PSI
I'm pushing 43 psi thru mine. Pollack 6 port without issue. 87 tbi units they were factory.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I'm pushing 43 psi thru mine. Pollack 6 port without issue. 87 tbi units they were factory.
Mine is 86 non EFI. Im guessing the tank switch wont
take pressure being they were made for mechanical pumpso_O

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag