86 C10 454 . Help with fuel return line. Pic's inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine is 86 non EFI. Im guessing the tank switch wont
take pressure being they were made for mechanical pumpso_O
Afaik it’s the tank switching valve for carb or TBI trucks.
I’d say either something is plugged or you just have way too much volume.
Unless you’re making some serious power you have at least triple the volume you’d ever need with the blue pump. It’s orders of magnitude overkill. 30 gph pump doesn’t starve a Vortec 454 with a fuel sucking Edelbroke carb that gets 7mpg.
At idle, what’s it use? 2gph let’s say (maybe less)
Let’s say you’re returning “only” 100gph.
Quick math with 12’ of 5/16 return line, @100gph or 1.6gpm you’re returning about 800 TIMES the amount of fuel that line can hold, volumetrically, per minute.
That’s a lot of flow. And any minor losses (restrictions) will add up pretty quick.
Turn your garden hose on full bore open hose and the water maybe shoots out 2 or 3 feet. Restrict that opening and it shoots 20-30 feet. Same principle.
If you don’t find that it’s literally blocked and not returning fuel I believe this is the issue.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Holley makes a EFI retorfit for old school Chevy tanks. Edlebrock makes a fuel sump that goes under hood. Both kits are made to use the existing non-EFI fuel tanks.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Talked to holley this morning. He said my fuel pump is bad because as soon as I connect the bypass return hose the pressure spikes up to like 20PSI when I only have a 14 PSI pump. WTF???? In my mind the regulator should
only let 6PSI to the feed(carb) and overflow goes back to tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag