California Square Body fans - Proposal to extend smog exemption model years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jphelzer

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I hope this is in the right forum....

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight. He works for the state Bureau of Automotive Repair. I was telling him about my 77 K25 (the PO removed the smog pump and swapped exhaust manifolds).

He said he heard in a meeting that there was a bill to extend the model years that are exempt. Currently, in CA 1975 and older are exempt.

I Googled it: Assembly Bill 220 (AB220) proposes extending the exempt year to 1982!

Here’s an excerpt from the bill: ”All vehicles manufactured after the 1976 model year but prior to the 1983 model year if the owner submits proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle.

rhttps://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB220

The bill shows as introduced and “in committee”.

https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1265078

If you live in CA, please help us all out and email your Assembly rep asking them to support this bill. You can find your representative here: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

Let's hope this goes throught!

John

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
If you rea the entire bill:
(B) All motor vehicles manufactured after the 1976 model year but prior to the 1983 model year if the owner of the vehicle complies with the requirement specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (c).

What does (c) (1) state?
(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.

So it won't be all vehicles prior to 1983, just those registered as a collector motor vehicle.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
It would be a lot cheaper to just put the parts back. Ca smog laws are a nightmare for anyone who prefers older vehicles. Believe me, they want to get 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and SUVs off the road ASAP.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
Bills like this have been tried many times in the past. I deal with BAR and CARB at the highest level, daily. I am told that the state will not be changing the years (any time soon) for smog requirements regardless if one of these bills pass. They quote something from the health and safety code saying they have the authority to override any bill if it is in the interest of public health and safety. As for the "collector car" registration, I see people trying to do this all the time. Once they find out it must be stock and that the equipment needs to be intact and verified by the state referee, they no longer pursue this direction. Most people are attempting to use the collector car registration because they are missing equipment or have made modifications such as headers, etc. I've personally went through the process successfully two times, with a 79 C3 and a Datsun Z. The purpose of the collector car status is to preserve the vehicle in stock form for its historic value. There are other restrictions also like it cannot be your primary vehicle, must be 35 years old, and used primarily in shows, parades, charitable functions, and historical exhibitions for display, maintenance, and preservation. These restrictions I quoted are off the qualifying questionnaire you fill out at the referee. I do believe that eventually one of these bills WILL pass and be allowed to go into law. Many of the emission parts for the 1976 through 82 are getting harder and harder to get. The Parts Locating Service, which is also currently operated under the referee contract, is giving out more and more parts exemptions due to the parts not being available. That was one of the main contributing factors when they allowed 1966 thru 1975 to be dropped from the biannual requirement. They even got "sneaky" when they dropped them. They only exempted them from the biannual smog requirement, not the smog program. We occasionally see the older vehicles with a ticket for modified emission equipment (CVC27156 (b)). Usually they were racing or being an ******* to the officer. They are then required to go to the referee and pass a complete inspection for the ticket to be cleared by the court. If you remove emission equipment in California, don't throw it away or sell it. You many need it down the road and it can get costly to find and purchase.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Would be nice if California could be forced in this to respect federal law and regulations, which has a 25 year old or more exemption.

Meanwhile, California persists in making it illegal to make old vehicles less polluting through improvements to their emissions equipment and engines.

I've been thinking about advertising for sale my 1982 GMC 3500 in California. Never had any emissions controls because it was exempt. Someone could make it as dirty or clean as they want and the State can't do anything about it.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Like @K5ride said, in CA just because your vehicle is exempt from having to be smogged doesn't make it exempt from smog laws. My parent live in the SF Bay Area and recently gifted me their '73 C20 they've had since 1985. I remember as a kid taking the truck to get smogged, then it becoming exempted and having some freedom to play around with the engine and not keeping all stock. One of the things my dad told me when I picked up the truck from their place was the fact that it is still bound by smog laws, just not smog checks. He didn't like having this hanging over his head with the way CA is getting strict about this stuff.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
Would be nice if California could be forced in this to respect federal law and regulations, which has a 25 year old or more exemption.

Meanwhile, California persists in making it illegal to make old vehicles less polluting through improvements to their emissions equipment and engines.

I've been thinking about advertising for sale my 1982 GMC 3500 in California. Never had any emissions controls because it was exempt. Someone could make it as dirty or clean as they want and the State can't do anything about it.

The only 1982 vehicles that are exempt from biannual inspections in California that I can think of is the diesels(or electric conversions). If you put a gasoline engine in, it is then subjected to the biannual inspections due to the engine change to gasoline. California DMV does "random" referee referrals for diesels so they can confirm that it is still a diesel. I'm not sure what prompts the referral, but it is not uncommon. / You can install newer, less polluting engines in your vehicle as long as you follow the engine change guidelines. I approve the LS and E-Rod conversions daily.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

Another problem we run into here is even if you have a Federal emissions vehicle, you have to prove it. If you don't have the original emissions tag or proof it originated as a Fed vehicle, you have to meet the California requirements for emissions equipment.

The other thing our "great" state does is random mobile emissions testing. I worked in law enforcement for 27 years. About 6-7 years ago, prior to retiring, BAR and the local CHP office showed up a couple of times in town and would flag vehicles over onto a portable dyno setup. It was voluntary, but I'm sure if you refused, your VIN would get flagged for emissions testing prior to your next re-registration.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's all communism taking the rights of the people to exist without interference from any and all government. They are supposed to be protecting your rights not restricting them to owning a Prius. All that crap is a violation of your 4th Amendment and probably a couple others. Actually it's Fascism, you can own a vehicle but it has to be this, or do this, or have this on it, or off of it. Everyone in Calif. raise your right arm out in front of you with your hand stretched out flat, fingers together, and yell out "Seig Hile"!

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I remember about 15-20 years ago Leno was arguing the case with then Gov Schwarzenegger. I figured that if two friends couldn't come to an agreement on something that one is so passionate about, changes were unlikely.

I remember in early 90's, Cal got real strict on anything '66 or newer. Prices for modified 67-69 Camaros, etc. were dirt cheap for a few years. I almost bought a nice blown 460 Mustang for $2800. Parts for my '63 Nova tripled in price as interest in smog exempt cars piqued.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Another problem we run into here is even if you have a Federal emissions vehicle, you have to prove it. If you don't have the original emissions tag or proof it originated as a Fed vehicle, you have to meet the California requirements for emissions equipment.

The other thing our "great" state does is random mobile emissions testing. I worked in law enforcement for 27 years. About 6-7 years ago, prior to retiring, BAR and the local CHP office showed up a couple of times in town and would flag vehicles over onto a portable dyno setup. It was voluntary, but I'm sure if you refused, your VIN would get flagged for emissions testing prior to your next re-registration.

It shouldn't matter because it's a 3500. "One Ton" trucks weren't required to have emissions controls anywhere in the USA back then. That's how Dodge got away with the Warlock and Lil' Red Express pickups having hotted up engines.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
The only 1982 vehicles that are exempt from biannual inspections in California that I can think of is the diesels(or electric conversions). If you put a gasoline engine in, it is then subjected to the biannual inspections due to the engine change to gasoline. California DMV does "random" referee referrals for diesels so they can confirm that it is still a diesel. I'm not sure what prompts the referral, but it is not uncommon. / You can install newer, less polluting engines in your vehicle as long as you follow the engine change guidelines. I approve the LS and E-Rod conversions daily.

I've searched but can't find when the federal rule changed on one ton trucks not being required to have emissions controls. IIRC it was for pickups in any configuration and vans sold as bare chassis or cab and chassis. The reasoning was due to the aftermarket using the vehicles to build RVs, box trucks and various other configurations which made it impossible to test them all. Dodge used the loophole for their Warlock and Lil' Red Express one ton trucks to build them with the last gasp for good old 1960's style, unstrangled horsepower.

Then at some point (likely around when GM completely redesigned their standard cab pickup) the feds changed the rules to not care about body configuration for emissions.

But since all that was years before the WWW, it's difficult to dig up the information.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've searched but can't find when the federal rule changed on one ton trucks not being required to have emissions controls.

California has always been "unique" with regards to smog. I've had 8 Squares, 6 with 454's, but the oldest 1 ton is my '85. I had a '77 K5 with an SBC 400/HD emissions and an '80 C20 3+3 with a 454/ HD emissions. Both ran on Regular fuel, but had smog pumps and assorted ported vacuum switches. My '85 also originally ran on regular (no cats) and has a massive amount of emissions equipment. I highly doubt here in California, so much equipment was added from 1982 like your Federal 3500 truck. Usually here in California the emissions cut off was 10K pounds. If it was over 10K, it fell under Medium duty truck standards.

The first emissions hose routing label is from Classic Parts of America. It is for a 1982 454 (Part# 87-348B). The second is for my early year '85, but has 1984 emissions standards. They're almost identical.

With regards to the 1-ton chassis/chassis cabs I can give another example. In 1991 my dad bought a Fleetwood Southwind motorhome on a 1990 Chevy P30 chassis (454/TH-400/19.5" wheels). It was registered as a 1991 Fleetwood, but emissions testing was based on the 1990 chassis and had to be done every 2 years.

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
It would be a lot cheaper to just put the parts back. Ca smog laws are a nightmare for anyone who prefers older vehicles. Believe me, they want to get 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and SUVs off the road ASAP.

And 3/4 tons are all I have...lol...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84