California Square Body fans - Proposal to extend smog exemption model years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I remember about 15-20 years ago Leno was arguing the case with then Gov Schwarzenegger. I figured that if two friends couldn't come to an agreement on something that one is so passionate about, changes were unlikely.

I remember in early 90's, Cal got real strict on anything '66 or newer. Prices for modified 67-69 Camaros, etc. were dirt cheap for a few years. I almost bought a nice blown 460 Mustang for $2800. Parts for my '63 Nova tripled in price as interest in smog exempt cars piqued.

In the late 80s and early 90s I had to smog my '65 every two years. It passed no problem, but money spent that I didn't really have at the time.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
California emission program originally started testing California vehicles 1966 and newer. Federal and import vehicles came into the program in 1968. California still tested the 1966 and 1967 Federal and import vehicles but only required type 4 closed PCV. All gasoline engine vehicles are part of some type of emission program in California, but the regular smog stations mostly test under 14,000 GVWR. Most of the heavy-duty vehicles had very little emission controls so I could see how someone could be confused and think they were exempt. The HD emission class originally started at 6001 GVWR but in 1978 California changed to 8501 (Federal changed in 1979). Most of the early ones only required a type 4 PCV and some had the thermostatic air cleaner.... not much in the way of equipment but still got tested. The tailpipe standards to pass for early HD was crazy high. They allowed 3.5% CO and 450 ppm HC. That's enough for your eyes to water, but it still passed. In the mid-90s, California adopted the current regulations that test 1976 and newer. 1976 thru 1999 get a complete test, including a tailpipe test. 2000 and newer get a visual, functional and we plug into the DLC to access the computer information (no tailpipe). It currently checks for monitors to be complete and no codes present. Starting July 19th, it will also start matching the programming against a data base (2000 and newer). If you have changed or tampered the programming, it will fail, and you will be required to reflash the ECU or install a correct one. CARB has some aftermarket flashes that are legal and have an executive order to allow them. For the last couple years, the Bureau of Automotive Repair has caught thousands of vehicles getting illegal smog certifications. They have already been checking the software on those, but in less than a week it will be enacted throughout the state to the general public.

Also, regarding the Lil' Red Express, those are part of the smog program and we test them occasionally. The "loophole" was the HD GVWR. In 1978 they got away with the higher emissions and no cat.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@K5ride I must be a little older than you. The program started in 1984. I recall it all too well.

I drove a '64 Chevelle at the time that my dad bought new off the lot in January 1964. We still had the original sales receipt. Well in June of '84 our reg came due and we got a notification the car had to be smogged. Back then the rule was 20 years and older. I argued I had proof the car was over 20 years old based on the sales receipt. DMV wouldn't go for it.

So I get the car tested, which was a totally stock 283 2BBL and it failed. They told me I had to install a NOx kit to get it to pass. The max for repairs in 1984 was $50 and the cost of the kit with install labor was over that, so they exempted it. Thankfully it never needed it after that.

This state is a total joke when it comes to emissions, don't get me started. I have no doubt, if I want to keep my K30 forever I won't be able to as they will change the max limits and force me to sell it to someone out of state.:flame:

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
@K5ride I must be a little older than you. The program started in 1984. I recall it all too well.

I drove a '64 Chevelle at the time that my dad bought new off the lot in January 1964. We still had the original sales receipt. Well in June of '84 our reg came due and we got a notification the car had to be smogged. Back then the rule was 20 years and older. I argued I had proof the car was over 20 years old based on the sales receipt. DMV wouldn't go for it

So I get the car tested, which was a totally stock 283 2BBL and it failed. They told me I had to install a NOx kit to get it to pass. The max for repairs in 1984 was $50 and the cost of the kit with install labor was over that, so they exempted it. Thankfully it never needed it after that.

This state is a total joke when it comes to emissions, don't get me started. I have no doubt, if I want to keep my K30 forever I won't be able to as they will change the max limits and force me to sell it to someone out of state.:flame:

Your correct that the biannual smog testing started in 1984. California emission program was well underway by then. The Bureau of Air Sanitation made the first tailpipe standards in the nation in 1966 and the Clean Air Act was revised. Due to this revision in 1966, California was able to adopt their own, stricter standards. In 1967 The Feds joined in with the Air Quality Act setting standards for Federal vehicles. Also in 1967 California Air Resource Board (CARB) was formed. When they rolled out the biannual testing in 1984, they also came out with the first version of the engine change guidelines and formed the State Smog Referee Program. 1984 was a busy year. The older vehicles from 1955 through 1965 were only in the program for a short while. They did not actually have tailpipe standards for these vehicles (used a default). They brought them in temporarily to get them all retrofitted with closed, type 4 PCV systems. Many of them at the time just had a breather and road draft tube. They were soon dropped and 1966 and newer were then the ones tested. I started driving in 1973 so I was able to go awhile without having to smog test any of my vehicles. I didn't get my smog license until 1994 but many of the early policies were still in affect at that time. Don't get me started on those NOx devices....what a joke.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Move!
My county in ohio has zero emission testing!
I can do as I please!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All of SC is that way and most of GA is too. Once you get into Metro ATL they smog residents of those counties and those who commute there for work or something I think is how that works?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota