Cab mount work..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Any of y'all who've been following my poor truck might remmember that I have rusted out floor, and cab mounts.

We just got 2 feet of snow last week, but looks like the ground is finally not too muddy to lay on so I am thinking about getting under her again, and seeing if I can fix her up to be able to use her again..

I was orginally just gonna take an angle grinder, and cut off the long cab mount that goes all the way from under the seat to the fire wall, on either side, but I was thinking, arent' these spot welded in place? How easy is it to find them, and drill them out?

I have replacement parts, just need to get under there and put them on. I've got the cab jacked up about 4" above the frame so I can get at it all.

Any advice?

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
To be more specific, how many spot welds are there holding those on?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

hogger52

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
73 Chevy 4x4
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
Hi, I'll put my 2 cents worth in here as I just took out the floors and floor braces on a 79 . You have to drill out the spot welds under the brake pedal for the front of the braces. The rear welds will be near the front mount of the seat also. I couldn't tell you about the floors as my floors were replaced at some point and had no welds, but sheet metal screws with monkey snot. Gee, why didn't I think of that!! I will post some pics of what I did. I used one of those spot weld remover deals, but you can substitute a drill bit of course.
To find the welds, I used a grinder to remove the paint and there will be an indentation where the spot weld is and then use a center punch on it so your drill bit doesn't wander off on ya.

hogger52

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
73 Chevy 4x4
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
3rd pic is the firewall side under the brake booster.

Attachments

• DSCN0403.jpg
    DSCN0403.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0404.jpg
    DSCN0404.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0405.jpg
    DSCN0405.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0406.jpg
    DSCN0406.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0407.jpg
    DSCN0407.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 98

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
3rd pic is the firewall side under the brake booster.

Awesome, this is exactly the info I was looking for!!

Thank you,

Some dumb reason, it never occured to me to look for the spot welds from the top, insid the cab, I was laying under there looking at rusted up metal trying to figure out how to find the spot welds..

Brain fart!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04