Buying DA Sander or Orbital Sander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cheap DA's suck. You're better off doing it by hand with a 6in sanding block. And a small compressor is almost useless for doing bodywork.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Cheap DA's suck. You're better off doing it by hand with a 6in sanding block. And a small compressor is almost useless for doing bodywork.

I agree. You can use a small compressor but you end up wasting a LOT of time waiting on it to build back up pressure after you use it for a couple of minutes.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok. What about using a electrical orbital sander?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

I agree. You can use a small compressor but you end up wasting a LOT of time waiting on it to build back up pressure after you use it for a couple of minutes.

What about turning down the setting on the DA sander on the air compressor so not waiting for it to fill up?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The DA needs a certain amount of air flow for it to even operate at all, especially a cheap one.

You can get away with a little compressor, and you can get away with a cheap DA... but not both at the same time. If you will be doing much sanding, a better compressor is more important than a good sander.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The DA needs a certain amount of air flow for it to even operate at all, especially a cheap one.

You can get away with a little compressor, and you can get away with a cheap DA... but not both at the same time. If you will be doing much sanding, a better compressor is more important than a good sander.

How big of air compressor do I need for DA sander?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
5hp 25 gallon would be the bare minimum I would think, but keep in mind it will be running a lot. DAs use between 4-8 CFM so it will be kickin on every minute or 2. The bigger the tank the better but it also pays to have enough of a pump to pump it up fast. A lot of people don't like the maintenance-free direct drive pumps but that's what I have and it's been a good one for years (knock on wood).

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
other people have already said it Dave. The compressor is where its at.

Alot of people will buy a compressor and turn the pressure as high as it will go usually around 125 psi, Really they are killing themselves. Because the more pressure you have the lower the cfm's will be. and CFM's are what run an air tool NOT pressure.

I dont hardly use anything BUT air tools I hate ratchets so I use impacts when ever possable hell even when I am working under dashes I use 1/4" air ratchets. But anyhow if you want my opinion on a good quality air tool you can not beat Ingersolrand.

A little example of the impact's I use is a Matco (made by ingersolrand) 1/2" drive I dont remember the exact specs of the gun but I do remember the nut busting torque is 1000 ft lbs. In fact I use to work for John Deer and there where several times i could remove wheels off of big equipment with my measilly little 1/2" gun that the tool rooms 1" drive couldnt budge.
But theres a secret that alot of people dont know. 1/4, 3/8" air hoses suck I like a 1/2" ID air hose also i like to use a portable air storage tank mounted under my roll cart. I simply plug the shop air hose to my portable tank then use My 1/2" hose from my cart to my tool you would be suprised the difference it makes having 5 gallons of air constantly within 25 feet of where you are working.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I turn my compressor down to 40psi to get 5.1 cfm according to the manual.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
But theres a secret that alot of people dont know. 1/4, 3/8" air hoses suck I like a 1/2" ID air hose also i like to use a portable air storage tank mounted under my roll cart. I simply plug the shop air hose to my portable tank then use My 1/2" hose from my cart to my tool you would be suprised the difference it makes having 5 gallons of air constantly within 25 feet of where you are working.
X2 this is very true. One of the main reasons it is better to have less hose when painting, larger diameter hose, and a regulator at the gun. When you squeeze the trigger you can see 10-15 psi drop on a smaller hose. I wish I could have afforded a Matco but settled for a NAPA 450 ft/lb impact. I'm happy with it.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I didn't read this whole thread, but you're best bet is to get you a big compressor. I have a 33 gallon one that I use for small junk, but I have a huge upright one in the corner that feeds big stuff.

A good DA is a must for bodywork.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I turn my compressor down to 40psi to get 5.1 cfm according to the manual.
Dave that is good you have the pressure turned down, I honestly think that the compressor you have is more suited for airing tires up and the occational air tool but not for everyday use.

X2 this is very true. One of the main reasons it is better to have less hose when painting, larger diameter hose, and a regulator at the gun. When you squeeze the trigger you can see 10-15 psi drop on a smaller hose. I wish I could have afforded a Matco but settled for a NAPA 450 ft/lb impact. I'm happy with it.

450 ft lbs is still quite a bit of torque, I have close to $2,000 in all of my guns
1/4" air Ratchet (Matco)
3/8" Air ratchet (Matco)
1/4" Impact (Matco)
3/8" Impact (Matco) My favorite By far and most used
1/2" Impact (Matco) Power house
3/4" Impact (Matco) Sold it No need for it when you have the good 1/2"
45* angle grinder (Ingersolrand)
90* angle grinder (Ingersol rand)
0* Angle Grinder (ingersolrand)
Long barrel air hammer (Ingersolrand) A must for front end work works awsome on rivots and ball joints
Grease gun (Ingersolrand) lol I know only lazy people use air powered grease guns lol
I think thats about all the air tools I have it might be a touch more then 2,000 for all of them hell its been a few years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB