Busted 700r4 Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I came across my box of broken 700r4 parts, aren't these the parts that you guys have recently said don't usually break? There was no abuse that went on here to cause it, even though my wife was driving.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sumbish !!! Hell yeah that's broke. Even a broken planet usually doesn't break like that when they do break. I'd really have to play with those parts to even try to figure out what caused that failure. Of course you probably already know, something else failed first before something that catestrophic happened. Whether it be no oiling, a thrust washer wore metal to metal or disentegrated, or whatever. You sure someone didn't hit reverse going down the interstate? Or was someone rolling backwards pretty quick and slamming it in first to be able to spin the tires for a burnout?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My wife was driving, she slowed down because a car in front of her was turning, then she hit the gas to speed back up, and then BANG... it just acted like it was in neutral and made a funny noise when you gassed it.

The tranny had just been rebuilt like 4 months before that and had been working fine. We towed it to the shop and they fixed it for us, no questions asked. I really believe they did more than they should have, I don't think it was their fault at all. They even brought the truck back to me when they were done.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Knowing that is was that low of miles and only 4 months, I would be willing to say it was their fault. I am going to go with they didn't check end play in the transmission during the build. They either had it to tight and something had to give, or it was to loose and something was being hammered on, which is most likely the case. Its as easy as forgetting a thrust washer or torrington bearing. They also could have replaced a bushing that did not fit tight enough, it eventually pushed the bushing out and its then chewed up in shavings. Once the bushing it out of the part, now the part is allowed to get cocked and with thrust, its tearing up **** instead. The reason I suggest one of these 2 things is because, notice 2 parts are broke. This isn't like one little weak spot in one part cracked. Something was bad enough to break both of those gears. This also is an example, that a 5 pinion planet would not have helped at all. It might have taken a hair longer, but it was going to happen no matter what.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ive seen them break just like that, Usually its because the bushing is worn, But you say it was just rebuilt? So maybe they didnt put new bushings in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ive seen them break just like that, Usually its because the bushing is worn, But you say it was just rebuilt? So maybe they didnt put new bushings in.

I think I'm leaning that way too. Cuz of both pieces being broken, of course its very very possible one broke and caused the other since in Auto trans, where there is a failure, there is a domino effect that follows and more **** gets tore up. But in this case, if bushings were bad, and it allowed the planets to get cocked or catty wompus, with both pieces, something has to go, and you see what went.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I think I'm leaning that way too. Cuz of both pieces being broken, of course its very very possible one broke and caused the other since in Auto trans, where there is a failure, there is a domino effect that follows and more **** gets tore up. But in this case, if bushings were bad, and it allowed the planets to get cocked or catty wompus, with both pieces, something has to go, and you see what went.

Bad part is it can be prevented. Everytime the cutomer always complained that there seemed to be a vibration in the transmission. tall tell sign of bushings being worn out. Had they brought it in when they first noticed the vibration chances are they wouldnt have had to have the plannetary.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In this case it could have been prevented if the builder would have replaced the bushings, or noticed when he did install the bushing, that it went in to easy. If it goes in to easy, that tells you it can come out easy too. It still possible a thrust washer or torrington was forgotten too.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

catty wompus, I learn't something today. :waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eh, I'd still like to think it wasn't anything they did wrong. It worked absolutely perfect before those parts broke and there were no vibrations or anything. There's no chance the metal was just old and fatigued? This transmission has a hard life, in a lifted Burb with 33's and crappy 3.73's (yeah I know, shame on me) that hauls the family, luggage, and the occasional car trailer. It sees it's share of weight to haul around.

At any rate, I will continue taking my stuff to the same tranny shop. It's a nice little family owned shop and they seem (to me) to really know their stuff. They've rebuilt other stuff for me and I've never had issues with any of it. Well, except the 700r4 in my Camaro, but it was the motor and my driving that smoked that one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't blame you for taking it back, or going back. They corrected it without hassle. I still think its part of the build though. Whether they cheated on a bushing, or installed it wrong or whatever. All bushings are not perfect either. Could have been a bad bushing, just off size a little, or like I said, maybe they forgot a thruest washer or torrington. Nonetheless, noone is perfect, well, except me, so as long as they make it right without hassle, its all good. For that kind of damage, they could have easily said, BS, we won't cover that, someone went out and was hot doggin the hell out of this thing and tore it up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think it's been over 40K since that happened, still works great. I just need a bigger cooler and 4.56's (i'd like to run 35's when these tires finally wear out) because it's hard to keep it cool on the highway. You really have to keep after it to get it to stay in lock-up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think it's been over 40K since that happened, still works great. I just need a bigger cooler and 4.56's (i'd like to run 35's when these tires finally wear out) because it's hard to keep it cool on the highway. You really have to keep after it to get it to stay in lock-up.

You might want to just use D until you get a gear change. What gear and tire size is it now?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I generally use D at 50 and below, or up to about 60 if it's a bit hilly. But on level ground, I get better highway mileage in OD. It's currently 33's and 3.73. Stock was 235/75's with 3.42's, but it had 31's on it when I got it. Well, they were called 31's but they measured smaller than 30".

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
that's a good attitude to have. the small shops need more support

Latest posts

Forum statistics