Building my own gantry...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hey folks. Odd question for you all.

Would a doubled, or tripled set of sandwiched 2x6's be enough to lift a small block engine out of one of these trucks, if I spanned the width of one of these trucks with a wooden gantry I want to build?

My ground where I have my trucks is too mushy to use a cherry picker, so i was thinking of building a gantry from wood, and using a chain hoist attached to it to lift the engine, then pull the old truck out from under, and push the new truck under it..

What do y'all think? Any plans or ideas on how to do this stuff with out a skidsteer, etc?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Why not just lay the 2x6s on the ground under the cherry picker and move the trucks to and from it? Just because it has wheels doesn't mean it has to move.......

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I wouldn't hesitate to lift - even a fully dressed - 350 with a single 2 X 6 (in the vertical plane).

Complete engine, SBC, Al intake, iron heads, dry, no accessories or exhaust = 440 lbs

Complete list of weights, various Chevy mechanical components:

You must be registered for see images attach

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2x6s would probably work... I had used a 2x10 or 2x12 if I remember correctly to lift a BBC off a trailer once many moons ago using a couple of chains and a come-along.

zbhover

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You mean something like this???

I can't remember if I used a 2x6 or 2x8, but I pulled the engine out of this truck with no issues several years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigjump73