Build thread. Sad Sack Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought this around '12 or '13 I think.
Drove it a few years until the trans died in '17. Yes, a 700r4. Never again...
It's been sitting every since, basically just a storage unit...it's covered in moss, mold, and rust...

I drug a 79 K5 Cheyenne home a few months ago, that is in much worse condition. In fact, I have parts trucks that are in better shape. But it has every option available in 79 plus the undamaged houndstooth upholstery. It sits in my pole barn behind two other restorations waiting its turn.
Looking forward to reading progress reports on your old girl.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I drug a 79 K5 Cheyenne home a few months ago, that is in much worse condition. In fact, I have parts trucks that are in better shape. But it has every option available in 79 plus the undamaged houndstooth upholstery. It sits in my pole barn behind two other restorations waiting its turn.
Looking forward to reading progress reports on your old girl.

I'd love to see pictures of that in another thread :)

What's the color combo?

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd love to see pictures of that in another thread :)

What's the color combo?

The glove box tag is gone so I haven't nailed the exact color yet, but it was a saddle with white between the trim moldings and tan interior with the houndstooth.
The previous owner was going home one afternoon and the transmission went out. He pulls out the tranny with the transfer case and bolts up a 350 turbo from a 2wd cause, well, he had to be at work the next day. I have no idea where he found a driveshaft, but gotta love the ingenuity, lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone knows this color for this 1979, let me know.
You must be registered for see images attach
They had a Russet Metallic that looks like a dark orange. Our '79 Burb was dark brown metallic, but darker than this one, if that's a brown. I know in '80 the dark brown metallic is more root beer ish than the '81 dark brown metallic, because of how our '81 Sierra was after it got a scratched up left rear fender while being unloaded off the carrier. Frank Gillman Pontiac GMC repainted that fender(because we said that was the only way we're buying that truck) but they shot the wrong color.....

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Good, glad you did. I stopped to look at one not long ago that I pass everyday to and from work that's had the rear window busted out of it for god knows how long. Opened the 'gate and it tried to fall on me and cut off my legs, the hinges/pillars were GONE. Saw the carpet sagging and sure enough, there was no rear floor to speak of. The whole back end was cantilevered off the bodymounts over the axle
I removed the scraps that passed for carpeting when I got it.
The rockers are pretty ate up, but my plan is cutting out the rot and welding in some box tubing.
My only welding experience was in A&P school in 88-89.
Gotta start somewhere.
The drivers side behind the rear wheel is rotted, but stops just short from where I wanted to cut it anyway.
First things first, get it up and running.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Down here, they rot around the rear AC on the right rear corner. Even with a good back glass or barn doors. I've seen them with holes back there, almost as big as a human head....
I have a rear a/c unit I salvaged from a previous burb
It had barn doors and a rear spoiler.
The bottom of the barn doors rotted. Water came in the hinge holes.
Water came in the holes that mounted the spoiler.
I am amazed mine is in the good shape it's in. It has no spoiler.

Going out of town Monday. I'll start messing with it Tuesday.

I'll save some easy stuff for the weekends.
My helper (grandson) is stoked to get it going!

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My dad had a 84 burb tan and brown with the 6.2 diesel and 700r4. That mf was the best square we ever owned! By far!

My dad bought it new and we drove all over the country 3 weeks a year after me and my sister got out of school. Towing a 23' travel trailer. Never a bit of a problem.

Then we moved to Illinois 4 years later. Drove it from Texas. It ran great even in the freezing weather. For another 2 years until my dad traded it in. Had the oil warmer.

Like I said fcking best square we ever had hands down. Couldn't stop it. Reliable af!
I have a 3/4 ton 2wd burb with a 6.2.
It's been sitting a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad