Broken Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not sure what to really call this but I am in the process of swapping intakes to rid myself of the heavy ass cast iron manifold and finally got it off then I noticed this.

I have 3 circles that I am particularly looking at.

2 of the red circles shows the lifters unseated from their normal position than all the others. Is this normal? The other thing I found was a u shaped clip which looks like it may have come from a lifter.

The other thing of concern is the one push rod that is absolutely spotless that I have also circled in red.

Now before I really go and drop a bunch of money on this motor its a tired old 305 which I recently disocvered and thought was a 350. I can probably find a fairly cheap short block 350 for $200-300 and do a fairly quick swap with everything I already have.

Anyone have advice on what may have caused this issues?

Attachments

• lifters.jpg
    lifters.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 69

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lifters move up and down, that's normal. That one pushrod has likely been replaced. Got a picture of the clip? Are any lifters missing a clip? Did it run fine?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I feel better knowings its normal. The truck just felt sluggish and ran like a dog but I have no idea on the mileage of the engine.

Apparently the PO decided to use rtv sealant on the valve coveres and I didn't find any rtv sealant on the front and rear edges of the intake.

Regarding the clip its the middle one shown here:
You must be registered for see images

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, that looks like a lifter clip. If none are missing, I'd suspect there was a failed lifter/pushrod/rocker that was repaired at some point, and the clip was left behind.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, that looks like a lifter clip. If none are missing, I'd suspect there was a failed lifter/pushrod/rocker that was repaired at some point, and the clip was left behind.

I haven't gotten a chance to look that far as it was getting dark. I'll look tomorrow when I'm out working on it again.

Hopefully its leftovers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe